Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Champ, the older of the first family’s two dogs, has died

[ Edited ]

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Champ, the older of the family’s two dogs, had died “peacefully at home.” The German shepherd was 13.

“He was our constant, cherished companion during the last 13 years and was adored by the entire Biden family,” Biden and first lady Jill Biden said in a statement posted to the president’s official Twitter account. The Bidens are spending the weekend at their home in Wilmington, Delaware.

The Bidens got Champ from a breeder after Biden was elected vice president in 2008. Champ was a fixture at both the vice president’s residence at the Naval Observatory and now the White House. In their statement, the Bidens said that when Champ was young, “he was happiest chasing golf balls on the front lawn of the Naval Observatory,” and that more recently he enjoyed “joining us as a comforting presence in meetings or sunning himself in the White House garden.”

“In our most joyful moments and in our most grief-stricken days, he was there with us, sensitive to our every unspoken feeling and emotion,” the Bidens said.

Champ’s passing leaves the Bidens with their younger German shepherd, Major, whom the family adopted from the Delaware Humane Society in 2018.

The Bidens could occasionally be seen walking their two dogs on the White House South Lawn, and the dogs sometimes would join the president on trips to Camp David or visits home in Delaware.

Respected Contributor

Re: Champ, the older of the first family’s two dogs, has died

So sorry to hear this news.  Run free over the Rainbow Bridge, Champ.  You will be missed.  God Bless the Bidens and so sorry for your loss!

Respected Contributor

Bo Obama is there to greet his friend now.  Rest in Peace sweet Champ!Cat Sad

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

I heard the news earlier today. My condolences to the Bidens. Losing a beloved pet is a very painful ordeal. It's the one tragedy amid the joys and laughter of pet adoption.

Honored Contributor

I just saw that, so very sad for the Biden family.  It's heartbreaking when we lose a pet, a loved member of our family.

Honored Contributor

The loss of a family's cherished pet hurts.  

I feel for the Biden family.

Honored Contributor

RIP, sweet guy.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I was fearful every time I saw a picture.

Old guys just have a look.

RIP

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think too Biden's son, when Beau was alive and loved Champ too.  I think Champ being around was a reminder of Beau and he got the family through the tragedy of Beau's passing from cancer.

I think that is why the Biden's went home to Delaware a lot on weekends to be with their beloved family member, Champ.  

Pets are so special and it's so hard to say good-bye.