Contributor

Chalazion a/k/a hideous swollen eyelid question

Does anyone have experience with one of these beauties? My eyelid is so sore and swollen. Doctor said nothing but time and warm, wet compresses for treatment. He didn't give me an idea of how long this will last.

Have you had one and if so, how long before the swelling and pain at least began decreasing?

Respected Contributor

Re: Chalazion a/k/a hideous swollen eyelid question

DH has been dealing with what the eye dr said was a stye. He has been doing warm compresses for a week...no change. Today he went to the hospital for an unrelated outpatient procedure and they cancelled it when they saw his eye. They said it was a Chalazion and now he is on antibiotic ointment. If yours doesn't clear up right away, you may need to have the dr prescribe an antibiotic ointment or drops. I hope yours clears up asap! 

Respected Contributor

I had one years ago.  I think it lasted about a week.  My eye doc said the same.  Warm compresses often.  Of course if you see NO improvement go back to the doctor!

Honored Contributor

Yes. I seem to get one every couple of years.  Your doctor is correct, Warm compresses 4 or 5 times a day and wait for it to resolve itself.  He cannot tell you exactly how long it will take.  It depends on how big.  Small ones last about a week but I have had large ones that lasted several weeks.  With the warm water compresses, you should notice gradual improvement.  If you don't notice any improvement after a couple of weeks, go back to your doctor for treatment.  Back in the day, we called them styes.