Honored Contributor
Sending hugs and prayers of strength to you. I know your level of stress all to well.

Did you out and out buy the wheelchair, or get your husband's Dr to help you get it thru his medical insurance? At least everything my husband needs is provided thru the VA, and delivered to our front door.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
Sending hugs and prayers of strength to you. I know your level of stress all to well.

Did you out and out buy the wheelchair, or get your husband's Dr to help you get it thru his medical insurance? At least everything my husband needs is provided thru the VA, and delivered to our front door.

@RedTop - we bought the smaller, transport wheelchair. A friend of mine told me that Medicare won't pay for the transport chairs so we just bought it. I thought it was really reasonable, $118 including tax. And I didn't have to assemble it myself, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Hello,

I think of you so often, not just when I see your sign-in.

I am trying to pull through similar situations with my 92 year old father.  You are right, it is so difficult.  I still see my Dad, the one who could fix anything, explain anything, and hug it all better, yet he is now frail, and very sick.  He had another fall a few days before Christmas and with it a TIA.  My brilliant, funny, sharp Dad is having difficulty processing sentences.

It is so hard, I can do my very best to care for him, or grieve, but not both.  If I stop to grieve ... well, I can't.

Sending you and your DH {{{Hugs}}}

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh - I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are going through.  Being a caregiver for a loved one is emotionally draining, besides the physical exhaustion.  I was the sole caregiver for my aunt who had dementia. For the last six years of her life I was with her 24/7 until she died last year at age 96.  My suggestion is if gets too much for you, please consider bringing in some outside help, if only for a few hours a day.  I resisted the help until almost the end and I could no longer physically do it.  I now realize I should have had help sooner.   Prayers for you and your husband.

Esteemed Contributor

It's so sad to watch our big strong spouses go through life-altering health issues. You were smart to make the decision for the purchase of the wheel chair. My hubby has severe COPD and the decision to purchase a mobile scooter and the "lift" required to get it in and out of our SUV was one that had to be made since his mobility outside of our town house is so limited. 

I can sure identify and empathize with you on being the caregiver. It's not only stressful, it's sometimes physically challenging. We become responsible for almost 100% of what needs to be done in our daily lives. While I do what needs to be done, I know it's painful for my DH to see me having to do the things that he enjoyed taking care of. I'm sure your sweet husband feels the same.

Please know that you are not alone.....many of us can identify with you and understand the difficulties you face. We'll get through it! Some days are just tougher than others.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ch ch ch ch changes....

[ Edited ]

You did what you had to do and purchased the chair for all the right reasons and expense. Now hopefully things will be better for you, and for your husband and you will both feel safer and not so helpless.

Best concerns for your husband's health and for you to have less stressful moments each day.

Honored Contributor

It is both hard and sad to go through these things.  It sounds like you are a loving and devoted wife and do all you can.  I'm sure your husband appreciates your devotion and loving care. I will keep you both in my prayers.  Sending warm hugs and many warm thoughts as you travel this road together hand in hand.    

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh,  has your DH's neurologist considered that he may have a form of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension (NOH) and perhaps did baroreflex evaluation?

While not exactly rare NOH is uncommon and might not have been considered.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

"In sickness and in health".....how those meanings change over the years, isn't it?  Brings tears to my eyes.  Blessings to you @gidgetgh and your DH.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh @I understand.  Midodrine is another drug used for orthoststic hypotension.  Hopefully it won’t get worse and perhaps it will go away all together, which it sometimes does.