Super Contributor

Century Link Door-to-Door Solicitors

[ Edited ]

Right during the dinner hour tonight, two Century Link sales people were going door to door in my neighborhood trying to sell their products.  

We have a sign that says "No Solicitations," but they don't care.   They think going around after hours is "smart" to get people who are home, but it just makes people mad. It's interrupting and when it gets dark, I don't like to answer my door for anyone.   

One of my neighbors, who was putting her garbage out the same time I was, came over to me and said she was upset too by the interruption and the sickening and pushy sales pitch.   She thought the lady who did all the talking was "high."   

They must send me tons of ads in my mail every day, not to mention the endless TV campaigns.   They must not be doing so well selling their Prism products.

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head   I had a similar experience.  Young lady came to my "no soliciting" door.  Said there was a man with her up the street.  Wanted to come in and see my equipment.  I asked her for an ID but the only thing she could show me was for another company.  Told her she could not come into my house.  She was quite insistent that she could save me lots of money.  I told her no and she eventually left.  I immediately called Century Link but all I could speak with was a CS rep who was totally disinterested.  So I called the police and told them that I thought this person was up to something and insistent on entering my home.  Gave a description and direction they were headed.  I don't know if they ever found them.

Where do you live?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

AZ

I remember one time some gal came to the door from Century Link and she was dancing and twirling around when I answered the door.     She was so overly and fake sounding all happy and sweet.    She also wouldn't take no for an answer.   I finally got upset and told her to leave my property.

What a company that is.

Respected Contributor

Re: Century Link Door-to-Door Solicitors

It's not just century link.  Comcast and the Dish are also ringing doorbells.  And they all do it about this time every year.  Vacations are over, school is back is session, and people are home.  I had one come to my door last week (again) and caught me off guard.   I just said I'm not interested, cut him off, and shut the door.  Once they get started they just drone on.  They all have a spiel, but I've done the math and don't see any savings over the long run.

Esteemed Contributor

One time that I am happy that we have only one choice in our area... Comcast.  Seems everyone else has been shut out.  And since I live in the woods I cannot get a good signal from satelites companies so no one bothers me.  

However we do get TREE people who seem to think I need to have the trees cut down JUST IN CASE THEY WILL HIT THE HOUSE.  I always tell them the tree is not mine.  They go away with a puzzled look but at least they go away.  If they push the issue I just tell them that A HIGHER AUTHORITY  put it there and they better not mess with it.

Honored Contributor

I don't open the door to anyone I don't know or I am not expecting.  If I get caught I say no thank you and walk away or hang up the phone.

You don't owe them any of your time or attention, and you can do all that politely.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

what is century link? i have never even heard of it before.

we rarely get unannounced solicitations.......the last one i remember was someone selling meats and poultry that said they would give us a good deal because they were trying to sell the rest of the stuff in their truck. i told them i had just gone grocery shopping and that my freezers were full. we already get items from schwans also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I didn't even know what Century Link was.  I looked it up and there are pages of complaints.  Not only about the pushy sales people, but the fact they work after 9pm.  Our City did pass a solicitor law, but it doesn't help with those that are working scams.  They have to have a permit issued by our City on their shirt.  They are not allowed to work after 8pm.

I have solicitors come way after  8pm and get rude when I ask why they are going door to door so late.  I know they get cash on spot for every lead (foot IN the door) and a commission if the product is sold.  I don't even allow them to speak, just say, sorry, and close door.  Unless they are Scouts, or neighbor kids selling .

I think more people need to report them to police.  Take down the company and call police.  I had a lady higher than a kite try to sell some college scolorship things.  She became irate when I started to close door.  Then she started cursing.  I reported her.  Police were familiar with her.  And no, she wasn't selling anything but lies.

Super Contributor

Sorry, didn't realize Century Link wasn't national.    

Doesn't surprise me about the complaints.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

what is century link? i have never even heard of it before.

we rarely get unannounced solicitations.......the last one i remember was someone selling meats and poultry that said they would give us a good deal because they were trying to sell the rest of the stuff in their truck. i told them i had just gone grocery shopping and that my freezers were full. we already get items from schwans also.

Century Link is our telephone/Internet provider.  They just serve us in the Southwest...or maybe we serve them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment