Honored Contributor

Re: Cellphones responsible for the downfall of civilization

Alliswell:   Yes, 'The Uplifting of Civilization' would be another interesting topic!  Heart  Might be a good book title, too..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

And cellphones and technology have absolutely saved many lives - people calling for help wherever they may be, etc. 

And killed them, when texting and driving.

I'd be willing to bet more lives have been saved due to cell phones.  Our cable provider has a station that features police shows from the 1980's.  Often you see how someone could have been saved if a cell phone were available.
Cell phone (over) use drives me crazy and I seldom use mine.  I do feel a sense of security though, particularly when I am driving alone.
Trusted Contributor

And women who wear black over 50 and color their hair!

Esteemed Contributor

I know the OP was being funny....but I have to agree to a point...

Go to a resturant and you will see alot of people looking at their phones. I was at a Graduation Party......I think just about every kid there was sitting texting...not interacting with anyone.One girl was texting the girl across the table from her.

My daughter told me how kids take embarrassing pictures and put them on "Snapchat' and other similar apps for their friends(I guess they 'disappear' after a few minutes) to make fun or or bully others.

Some of the things grown women post on Social Media....good grief!!

I think the younger you are the worse it is. I was rear ended by a teen texting.

Respected Contributor

People can get in trouble with anything.  Cell phones are yet another way to be foolish, rude, or to withdraw from being socially polite.  Manors and politeness are not being taught so much anymore, but who's fault is that?  The parents, of course.  Parents were so much more like parents "back then" than they are these days.  It's refreshing to witness parents who do not allow tech gadgets to interfere with real life.  Those will be the kids who will appreciate it later, and others will appreciate them as well.

Honored Contributor

Children are as deadly as cell phones in the car.  I can keep my cell phone silent in my purse while I'm driving, but children fighting in the backseat or the screaming baby who just dropped his binky are probably just as likely to cause accidents. If anything is going to cause the downfall of civilization, it's children!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

And women who wear black over 50 and color their hair!

Oh dear.  Now I feel guilty!  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

Just curious, if they're responsible for the downfall, What would be responsible for the uplifting of civilization?

I think some people feel we should go back to the 1950s or earlier. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

hee - Well, at least this is getting more fun than contentious.  Smiley Happy

I am over 50 with long hair and not only that - I sometimes wear socks with my Birkenstock sandals.  Oh noooo... So, I'd have to say that I am definitely doing my part to end civilization.  

My hair is extremely long (not Crystal Gayle long but halfway down my butt because every time it gets to the bottom of my butt I cut some off) so I know it's considered weird by some here but I have to say that whenever I'm out in the world I get compliments from a lot of people.  As I get older, though, it is a bit of a pain to take care of but it's hard to imagine me with short hair so I just keep on keepin' on.  

Respected Contributor

I wear big hoop earrings. Scandalous