Honored Contributor

Re: Cellphones responsible for the downfall of civilization

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I HAVE NEVER OWNED A CELL PHONE!  Not planning on getting one either.

Neither have I, but will probably have to when my landline service is discontinued at some point.  Good to know that until then I am not contributing to "the downfall of civilization".

deepwaterdotter,  good for you, too! I got rid of my landline and got a internet (voip) phone (ooma). Love it and calls are free. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

'One thing I know for sure'.........Thought-provoking topic.  I keep returning........Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Just curious, if they're responsible for the downfall, What would be responsible for the uplifting of civilization?

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it could be considered political

Respected Contributor

They have their purpose but as everything else we go overboard using them

Honored Contributor

mominohio wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

Some people appear to have missed the sarcasm in the OP. 

Yes, I see sarcasm. And mocking. And really doesn't contribute to acknowledgement and fixing  the actual problems that cell phone (electronic devices in general) are causing (like decreased face to face social interaction, health issues, dangers in cars etc.).

i have to say i actually have INCREASED social interaction since having a cell phone and tablet. it is so much easier and cheaper to be able to talk to and see family and friends that i have around the world......some i have only been able to meet just ONCE in my life. years ago it would cost $1 a minute (or more) just to be able to talk on the phone. having this immediate type of access is priceless now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

After reading discussion after discussion concerning the evil cellphone, I can only conclude that this one device will be responsible for the downfall of civilization. 

Each week posters come here with story after story of distracted parents, distracted drivers, distracted diners even distracted walkers .... each more outrageous than the last. Apparently there is no hope, we are all domed. 

Okay...I haven't read this long thread beyond this point.  I was having similar thoughts concerning the cell phone earlier today. 

I don't think it's responsible for the TOTAL downfall of civilization.  I do think it has contributed to the rudeness and coarseness of it.

People who are rude because they are behind a "keyboard"; people who video themselves doing stupid and/or illegal things; the too-easy, instant sharing of things so trivial (pictures of food they're eating...really???) the thought would leave their mind if they had to wait to get home to share it; the whole "look-at-me" part of it.

The number of truly special people in the world is much lower than social media would have us believe.  And possibly the vast majority of those special people are too busy doing the things that make them special to even think about posting their every move on "social media."

In the end, though, the cell phone is nothing more than a tool...like a gun.  The damage it does depends on how it's used.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Complaining about Technology

is the initiation phase of the

You-Kids-Get-Off-My-Lawn!!! club.

image.jpeg

Generalizing people in this way is considered offensive.

Which is the same thing you are doing to people who use cell phones

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Not to worry - Someday, another gizmo, gadget, toy will emerge and that will be the end of the cell phone. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Not to worry - Someday, another gizmo, gadget, toy will emerge and that will be the end of the cell phone. 

And people will blame the "downfall of society" on that.