Honored Contributor

Re: Cellphones responsible for the downfall of civilization

sidsmom wrote:

Complaining about Technology

is the initiation phase of the

You-Kids-Get-Off-My-Lawn!!! club.

image.jpeg

Ha! I often contemplate if I'm (maybe just in some small ways) turning into the 'GET OFF MY LAWN' old man (well, woman).   Smiley Happy

Great pic!  Usually it's a crochety old dude.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I never understood the addiction to the phone?   I never use one except for emergencies. I do not even know my phone #... I have to look it up.  I have no desire ever to talk to anyone on the phone.  I have a land line that I rarely use either.  What is there to talk about? I never understood that.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't think it's the cell phone, per se, it's all the apps and kwap they've loaded onto the phone.   These devices were manageable when they were used for just calling, leaving messages, and voice mail retrieval.   You could buy a decent one for $20.    These days, if you lose your phone, you've got your whole life on it!

(Well, many people do ... not me)

Agree emphatically, Trinity . . . and not me either!!  I do not have a "smart phone," and never will.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

image.jpeg

Ha! I often contemplate if I'm (maybe just in some small ways) turning into the 'GET OFF MY LAWN' old man (well, woman).   Smiley Happy

I think most of us that are, say, over 60, can be crochety old dude-ettes about some things but not others. We're all different in how we see and experience the world.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have come to cell phone use from a different direction than most people, I guess.  I have never really *needed* a phone to communicate with friends/family members. None of my friends had smartphones, and my family is small and was far away. I had simple, semi-smart phones for years.

I used my iPad to stay connected to news, etc. while at work, but it was getting to be a pain to lug around (pre-Air days). So I splurged and bought an iPhone - and I began to  use my phone as everything but a phone. Did that for 2-3 years. Rarely received/made calls.

Retired now and living close to/with family, and needed to get with using the phone as a phone(!) New car has hands-free calling with hand/voice controls on the steering wheel. Still, I was nervous about being distracted while using it. Little by little I'm becoming more comfortable with it. I still don't love using it while driving, but at least when I really need to I can.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

p.s.  I think that what I'm most worried about are some (not all, of course) kids.  Always looking down.  I've been hearing that they will eventually have neck problems, as well as thumb problems when they become adults.  And I always say that becoming a neck or hand surgeon will be very lucrative professions in ten or so years.  Still, wishing them well.  It's not their faults.  Parents allow what parents allow; they are what they are, parent-wise. 

They can just add it to all the back problems people have from sitting on their butts too much.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Some people appear to have missed the sarcasm in the OP. 

You noticed that too, huh?  lol

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Funny' how I just now recall hoola-hoops.  We were all using them, and one day (yes one day) the news came out on the media (and from our parents) that hoola-hoops were causing slipped discs and back problems, we all (friends) stopped using them!  That day.  

I use my hoop all the time and it has helped keep my back in tip top shape.

It's great exercise.

You really can't text whilst hooping, though.

So some people wouldn't even dream of doing it.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have come to cell phone use from a different direction than most people, I guess.  I have never really *needed* a phone to communicate with friends/family members. None of my friends had smartphones, and my family is small and was far away. I had simple, semi-smart phones for years.

I used my iPad to stay connected to news, etc. while at work, but it was getting to be a pain to lug around (pre-Air days). So I splurged and bought an iPhone - and I began to  use my phone as everything but a phone. Did that for 2-3 years. Rarely received/made calls.

Retired now and living close to/with family, and needed to get with using the phone as a phone(!) New car has hands-free calling with hand/voice controls on the steering wheel. Still, I was nervous about being distracted while using it. Little by little I'm becoming more comfortable with it. I still don't love using it while driving, but at least when I really need to I can.

I rarely use my minutes also, and I don't text very often. Even though I have unlimited talk and text. I use my phone mostly to listen to music in the car ( it connects to my receiver), to find my way around town with the map app and to cook recipes and shop. I probably don't even use 30 minutes a month and I get more texts regarding shipment of packages or coupons than I do actual conversations. 

Having said that, I really don't care how anyone else uses their phone as long as they aren't physically endangering themselves or others. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

sidsmom wrote:

image.jpeg

I think most of us that are, say, over 60, can be crochety old dude-ettes about some things but not others. We're all different in how we see and experience the world.

Hi Moonchilde!  So true.   I wish we could all understand that everybody sees things through their own individual lens, based on their individual life experiences, so that these conversations wouldn't always become so contentious.  Smiley Happy  

I'm a 'live and let live' person.   Sure some things bug me, and some of them bug me to the nth degree.  But I just move around and try to figure that just because somebody else sees it differently, I need not condemn them for it.  Sure, some things I cannot get around. But the constant extreme thinking, about every single thing (!), that I sometimes see is disheartening.