Honored Contributor

Re: Cell phones and the movies

[ Edited ]

@Havarti wrote:

@olive59

I so relate!   We went to see The Accountant on Friday.  It was reserved seating and we picked back row corner.  There were 5 empty seats between us and the next person.  We were the last people to buy tickets & enter the theater so we were happy we would have that space.   When we got to the seats…there was a rather large man spread out in the seat next to us.  He had his beverage in the glass holder for our seat, he had his arms draped over the arm rest for our seat (this theater has recliner chairs for every person and even when you are next to someone, you each still have your own armrest on both sides – he took double armrests on each side.  We knew we had a winner here…either this grown man did not know how to find his own seat, or he just did not care. 

He was a loud eater, needed to get his popcorn from the bottom of the tub, then slurped loudly sucking down his beverage.  All this was happening  just during the previews.  Once the movie started he needed to check his phone every 5-10 minutes – that little light in a dark theater is both disruptive and annoying.  He would play his messages and everyone around had to put up with the voice conflicting with the movie.   Even when people spoke up, he didn’t care.  Eventually he had to get up and go out…everyone had to put their recliner in the upright position to let him pass, but we hoped he was gone for good.  Not that lucky, he was soon back (must have had to go to the bathroom for all he ate & drank) and the phone issues continued throughout the movie.  When DH & I left there were numerous parts of the movie we completely missed because of this guy.  We paid good money to go to that movie and we had the same feelings you expressed so well.   If he had something THAT important why was he even at the movie?  We were at an AMC theater and they have changed their message from “please turn off your phones” to one that simply asks for patrons to be courteous.   That is an invitation to do whatever you want.

I have this frustration with cell phones in a variety of places.  Lately it is the grocery store.  People get on the phone and completely tune out the rest of the world.  They speak loudly…like kids talk in a soup-can phone and push their cart like they are alone in the store – totally oblivious to anyone else around.  When I see the total unawareness of others around them, I cannot understand how it is legal to drive a car and talk on a cell phone.  I know some states have laws covering this, but not all do.  It is a miracle more people aren’t killed because of this trend.  What has happened to people’s common sense and basic courtesy?

@Havarti

....responsibility, courtesy, consideration......these words have been removed from the dictionary and today's society........

I can totally relate to your experience and have encountered similar problems with the smart phones....do I own one....YES....but I hardly make calls or text someone...I like to engage in a personal face to face conversation with the people that matter most ...since I'm on a computer all day at work I want a break and don't want to be connected to emails, the internet, Facebook, Twitter--- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Oh my, didn't you know?

It's all about them! All the time! So Rude!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I think I win.  I was at a restaurant two weeks ago and a woman about 30-40 something (not good with age) was in the toilet on her cell phone.  I went out to complain to the desk and they said what about that?  I said it is GROSS.

My conclusion is there is no respect for common decency because it is no longer common.

Honored Contributor

I go to a movie theater with a no talking, texting or cellphones out during the show. After the first warning, you will be booted without refund. And they take it seriously. I've never seen a cellphone out during the movie.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

"common courtesy"  -  a thing of the past.  you don't find it driving, crossing the street, in line at the supermarket, on line (vile), on public transportation  ---  no respect for the elderly, the pregnant, special needs, etc.  every person for him/herself.   we have wandered so far from what we used to be.  very sad.

Honored Contributor

Last year I had to take our neighbor to the ER and I had to try & try to reach her son. When he finally answered he was PO'ed that I had called him while he was at the movies. What the heck? 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

I think I win.  I was at a restaurant two weeks ago and a woman about 30-40 something (not good with age) was in the toilet on her cell phone.  I went out to complain to the desk and they said what about that?  I said it is GROSS.

My conclusion is there is no respect for common decency because it is no longer common.

@Deanie

Some people think that there are no more phone booths .......they are wrong---- they are called toilet stalls!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I get it.  It's one of the reasons why we rarely go to the movies anymore.  The cell phone addicts, the constant talking, the people only are there to eat.  So they are up and down and crawling all over people throughout the movie.  Then there's the couples who never heard of babysitters and bring the babies and all the baby paraphnelia with them and take seats that are meant for people in wheelchairs.   And they think it's cute when baby cries, they make the crying worse by trying to shush the chilld.  It's the one time when rudeness is appropriate.  They slink out in huff when rude guy in the back yells "Take that kid outside !!!!".  The last time we went, we attended an 11pm movie.  That was so much better.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I've seen people on the phone before and during the previews, but not during the actual movie.

If it was a problem, I would tell management.

That's funny.  "Management" is a 20 year old kid and he's too buys making sure no one sneaks a Snickers bar into the movie.  The ushers are 16 and they are too busy hallking popcorn and cold drinks from their carts.  That's another thing I don't like.  Theere 's concession stand that sells everything from soup to nuts.  Why do they have to sell stuff from push carts whle we're waiting for the movie to begin ?  

Honored Contributor

We go to matinees.T hey aren't crowded. We have never had a problem with phones or babies