Honored Contributor

Re: Cell Phones in the High School Classroom

@Cakers3 wrote:

We may have survived without cell phones but times are different today. 

I have no problem with students having their phones with them; rules in writing regarding the use of those phones(shut off during class e.g.) will deal with any misconception of how and when phones can be used on school campus.

I really resent the fact that those who have no problem with cell phones in school are accused of not seeing the whole picture.

Nor are our kids being dumbed down because they have one. 

The schools can determine when, how, and where the cell phones can be used.  In writing in a student handbook would clear up any questions.

I am against somebody collecting phones as the student enters; the phone is not a weapon.  I am against a principal determining a phone is taken away for a whole month.   There was a better way to deal with that situation.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I volunteered in school on a professional level for years, and my career also included working with kids and teens.

I raised a wonderful daughter who is now an outstanding adult who worked with the United States Congress in DC and has done other amazing things.

I mention that only because of your comments about your children.  Just because I don't agree with your love of all rules does not mean I haven't raised an incredible child, now adult.

Trusted Contributor

The phones are actually the property of the parent and I do think it's inappropriate for a teacher to take it away. If a teacher took away the phone of my child, I'd be going there to retrieve it asap and they would not deny me, I can tell you right now. Yes, rules have to be followed but it's not that hard is it just to remind everyone to turn off their phone before entering the classroom. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7   I am not a lover of all rules.  I only like the ones that are fair and are put in place to serve a good purpose.

You and I both are fortunate that we raised our children to be responsible adults and our children are lucky to have support at home.

Some children do not have support at home and  are allowed to do as they please.  Some rules give them the structure they so badly need.  

My DH and son are both in law enforcement.  They see what happens to kids who slid through the cracks and were given slaps on the wrists all through their school years.  They are surprised and shocked when they are young adults or teens  and now find themselves in trouble so severe that they can’t get out of it.

Right now my DH is helping with adults who were given life sentences as juveniles and are being reviewed to hopefully get a second chance.  Some of these people shot people and killed people for the fun of it or during a store hold up.

One young man who killed a store clerk when he was 14 remembered my DH as the officer who arrested him. My DH said he now seems like a nice man, who might make it in society.  This kid was always in trouble and always got off with hardly any punishment.    He now knows that there are consequences for his actions.  Too bad he didn’t know that before he killed someone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7   I am not a lover of all rules.  I only like the ones that are fair and are put in place to serve a good purpose.

You and I both are fortunate that we raised our children to be responsible adults and our children are lucky to have support at home.

Some children do not have support at home and  are allowed to do as they please.  Some rules give them the structure they so badly need.  

My DH and son are both in law enforcement.  They see what happens to kids who slid through the cracks and were given slaps on the wrists all through their school years.  They are surprised and shocked when they are young adults or teens  and now find themselves in trouble so severe that they can’t get out of it.

Right now my DH is helping with adults who were given life sentences as juveniles and are being reviewed to hopefully get a second chance.  Some of these people shot people and killed people for the fun of it or during a store hold up.

One young man who killed a store clerk when he was 14 remembered my DH as the officer who arrested him. My DH said he now seems like a nice man, who might make it in society.  This kid was always in trouble and always got off with hardly any punishment.    He now knows that there are consequences for his actions.  Too bad he didn’t know that before he killed someone.

@Carmie

I have years of experience working with kids and teens on a professional level and in professional settings, including halfway houses and working with LE.  I'm very familiar with troubled kids and my stories would not be hearsay.

Honored Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

The phones are actually the property of the parent and I do think it's inappropriate for a teacher to take it away. If a teacher took away the phone of my child, I'd be going there to retrieve it asap and they would not deny me, I can tell you right now. Yes, rules have to be followed but it's not that hard is it just to remind everyone to turn off their phone before entering the classroom. 

In the elementary school where I volunteer, the kids are texting and playing games on their phones during class room time. They also view porographic material.   They didn’t forget to turn the phone off.   It’s not an honest mistake, they are blatantly disobeying the rules and disrupting the class.  

Most of the teachers just ignore them or say, “ put your phone away”. In a few minutes the phone is out again.  Sometimes someone borrows the phone and won’t give it back when asked and they fight over it.

The reason the teachers ignore it is because they don’t want to deal with the parents who come into the school principals office for every little thing. I have seen teachers cry after a conference with a parent.

I am sure that not every school is like this, but I can tell you it’s a whole lot different than when you went to school.

Honored Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

@puttypiesmom  I agree with you for the most part but I do agree that a teacher should be able to take the phone and return it at the end of the class.  The principal stepped way out of line with the one month punishment.

Many students purchase their own phones today, too; I'm not sure in that case if the parent actually owns the phone?

In any case, I agree that a reminder at the start of a class is a good suggestion but I also feels clearly outlined rules regarding these phones should always take precedence over a verbal reminder.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Noel7  Read the replies from teachers on this forum.  It appears they are having problems with kids and phones in the schools too.  Kids don’t care if they get in trouble.  

There are no solutions in place that are working.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@fordtruck wrote:

In the elementary school where I volunteer, the kids are texting and playing games on their phones during class room time. They also view porographic material.   They didn’t forget to turn the phone off.   It’s not an honest mistake, they are blatantly disobeying the rules and disrupting the class.  

Most of the teachers just ignore them or say, “ put your phone away”. In a few minutes the phone is out again.  Sometimes someone borrows the phone and won’t give it back when asked and they fight over it.

The reason the teachers ignore it is because they don’t want to deal with the parents who come into the school principals office for every little thing. I have seen teachers cry after a conference with a parent.

I am sure that not every school is like this, but I can tell you it’s a whole lot different than when you went to school.

@Carmie  Unfortunatly the problems at that school started long before cell phones came into use.  The phones are not the cause of the problems; the misuse of the phones and the lack of teacher/parent discipline are the result of how this school was managed all along.

I know there are out of control schools; but the cell phones are a  symptom not the cause, of those issues.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7  Read the replies from teachers on this forum.  It appears they are having problems with kids and phones in the schools too.  Kids don’t care if they get in trouble.  

There are no solutions in place that are working.

@Carmie

It's not news that there are some problems with phones.  You state and restate the obvious.  Several of us disagree that taking the phone away for a month is the answer.

Many kids do care if they get in trouble.  Lumping all kids together as one mind, one behavior, doesn't work.