Respected Contributor

Re: Cell Phones in the High School Classroom

Several of you have mentioned that it’s a fight that one can’t win without support and that learning has to go on. Responders who are told it’s not a problem either live where admin has strict rules. I would bet that many who are told it’s not a problem are not seeing whole picture. Spend an hour or two on site and eyes will be opened. There is a dumbing down even with advanced technology. Personal accountability is missing.
Respected Contributor

They do not need them in class. Collect as they come in the door & give back after class.

Honored Contributor

I don't agree with taking away a student's phone for a month.  Kids with after school jobs need them, kids who are responsible for their siblings need them, and kids with their own or family medical problems need them.

Find another punishment or also make them put their phone in the teacher's desk DURING class.  A principal has no right to take away a phone for a month.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I don't agree with taking away a student's phone for a month.  Kids with after school jobs need them, kids who are responsible for their siblings need them, and kids with their own or family medical problems need them.

Find another punishment or also make them put their phone in the teacher's desk DURING class.  A principal has no right to take away a phone for a month.

@Noel7  I'll presume this is directed at me/my school district because I'm the only one that mentioned the month long holding of the cell phone.

Like I said, SO FAR, it has not needed to be put to the test. The FEAR of losing the phone has done enough to prevent the NEED of having to take it as the students have chosen to follow the rules. I'm surprised that that aspect isn't standing out instead of the "OMG THEIR PHONE WILL BE TAKEN AWAY!!".

We survived for how long without cell phones? In emergencies, calls get made. In any event, my school district is happy, the parents are happy and the students are making the right choices regarding NOT using their phones during class. Remember, the COUNTY put this into effect based on feedback from parents and educators. Win-win-win all around. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7  I'll presume this is directed at me/my school district because I'm the only one that mentioned the month long holding of the cell phone.

Like I said, SO FAR, it has not needed to be put to the test. The FEAR of losing the phone has done enough to prevent the NEED of having to take it as the students have chosen to follow the rules. I'm surprised that that aspect isn't standing out instead of the "OMG THEIR PHONE WILL BE TAKEN AWAY!!".

We survived for how long without cell phones? In emergencies, calls get made. In any event, my school district is happy, the parents are happy and the students are making the right choices regarding NOT using their phones during class. Remember, the COUNTY put this into effect based on feedback from parents and educators. Win-win-win all around. 

@SahmIam

No, it's not directed at you.  I read this line yesterday and last night I saw flaws in the action without remembering who even mentioned it.

Honored Contributor

BTW, some people haven't survived because they didn't have a cell phone, then and now.  That's always a flawed argument.  No way to call for medical help when they had a heart attack away from the house, etc.  Some people survived the plague of 1918 without antibiotics and other meds, millions did not.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 If a student disobeys a rule and gets their phone taken away for a whole month, I am all for it.  The rules are there for a good reason and as long as the students are aware of the consequences and they made the decision to ignore it thinking the rules are for other people, but not them, I don’t see a problem.

If my child got their phone taken away for a month and the phone was truly needed, my child would have to work off the cost of a new phone.  In addition, there would be other corrective measures taken in our home.

I have raised three children to all be responsible adults who follow the rules.  They were not perfect kids and I was strict with them.  I am very proud of the people they have become.

I have noticed that our children are not being held accountable for their actions.  We need to teach them right from wrong and stop making the world an easy place for them when they make bad choices.  

They will not magically turn into good adults, they must be shown the way.

i can’t imagine a student doing something that they know will get their phone taken for a month, and if they are stupid enough to test the rules and get caught, I betcha there will not be a second time.

There is always a kid who must graduate Magna ****** Laude from the school of hard knocks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie

Not all rules are good, many are not. I agree a student should be punished for using their phone in class.  I do not agree the principal should take the phone for a month.

There used to be a rule of law that said women couldn't vote.  There was another rule that said black people could not marry white people. Examples.

Just because something is a rule does not mean it is a good rule or that it should be automatically accepted.

Honored Contributor

We may have survived without cell phones but times are different today. 

I have no problem with students having their phones with them; rules in writing regarding the use of those phones(shut off during class e.g.) will deal with any misconception of how and when phones can be used on school campus.

I really resent the fact that those who have no problem with cell phones in school are accused of not seeing the whole picture.

Nor are our kids being dumbed down because they have one. 

The schools can determine when, how, and where the cell phones can be used.  In writing in a student handbook would clear up any questions.

I am against somebody collecting phones as the student enters; the phone is not a weapon.  I am against a principal determining a phone is taken away for a whole month.   There was a better way to deal with that situation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Carmie

Not all rules are good, many are not. I agree a student should be punished for using their phone in class.  I do not agree the principal should take the phone for a month.

There used to be a rule of law that said women couldn't vote.  There was another that said black people could not marry white people. Examples.

Just because something is a rule does not mean it is a good rule or that it should be automatically accepted.

I don’t wish to debate over this issue, but I am in a school a few days a week.  I can tell you that the students do not act like you and I remember.   I was shocked on how things have changed and how the teachers are not allowed to do anything when the students disturb the class.

The  teachers are not allowed to tell what goes on at their school or in their classrooms outside of the school environment or they will be fired.

We are not doing these kids any favors by letting them do whatever they want to with little or no consequences.

It is a privilege and not a right for a student to have a phone in the class room. If they want to to keep that privilege, they need to follow the rules.  

If the punshment is not heavy, the kids won’t listen.  They actually like three day suspensions. They say “ you can’t do nothing to me, so what are you gonna do.”.   You have to discipline them in a way that will get their attention

I applaud the principle for locking up phone for a month and wish more principals had the guts to follow suit.  Parents are always complaining about the rules in school and little Johnny can do no wrong instead of talking to their child about doing what is expected of them while they are in school.

All of my friends who were teachers are doing something else.  They don’t want to deal with the stress, violence and disrespect.

Many of our schools are a hot mess and I don’t see them getting fixed any time soon.

If there is a a better way to deal with the situation than taking the phone for a month, I’d like to hear it.