Occasional Visitor

Celebrities Hocking their stuff on QVC

Is anyone else getting tired of all of the celebrities hocking their stuff on QVC now!

It's not that I don't like some of these celebrities, it's just getting a bit much.  Don't they have enough money already.  

They start with one product and then keep adding them on. 

To me it takes away from presenting the products of 'regular' vendors with the same products.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrities Hocking their stuff on QVC

If their appearances generate sales, they will continue to be on-air presenters.

Respected Contributor

Maybe it's different in your part of the country, but where I live, "hock" means to pawn. The word we would use to mean sell is "hawk." I don't have a problem with celebrity vendors. They don't usually sell the same things as "regular" vendors.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

You know how they always say keep your day job?  Well, some don't last long and are looking for a way to have an income just in case.  Look how quickly the young, flashy, and beautiful new things show up and what is today, is yesterdays news.  

Esteemed Contributor

As a two-decades-long QVC customer, I have seen many celebrities come and go. Those who paste their names onto products with no real ties to what they’re presenting are soon gone. Those who are actually designers, chefs, etc. have longevity. 

Honored Contributor

They're just using their name like everyone else who has a "name."

Whether you're a media celebrity or a sports celebrity or a political celebrity, etc, -  right now in our culture that's worth $$$$ -  at least while you still have a name. 

Just yesterday I heard a report of how much money even those celebs who have passed on are still earning for their estates.  I think Michael Jackson was the most last year -  added 75 million to his estate -  but Elvis is still adding multi millions as are many others.

As for QVC, they get to choose who sells and I get to choose what I buy. 

I'm fairly certain I'm not all that much of a celebrity buyer.  I don't own any Tova or Louis or Isaac, I've never watched Kathryn Zeta Jones, and on and on.   I just don't know the whole psychology of why TV has made them so valuable, but it has.  My brain goes all the way back to Dinah Shore telling us to "See the USA in your Chevrolet"   and all of a sudden I hearing that tune over and over.  Kind of a neat memory although it's been decades since I owned a Chevy!

Honored Contributor

behind every celebrity line there is a staff that is being employed.....designers, marketing people, financial people, and more. nothing wrong with that.

if i like the line i purchase......not because of the designer, but because of the quality, price, attractiveness, and usefulness of the item.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

No I'm not. I have many wonderful garments thanks to Martha Stewart. I am surely glad I own them, and hope she is a vendor for a long time

Esteemed Contributor

I really do not care who is selling the product.  If I like it and need/want it, I get it.  If I don't care for the vendor, I probably will not watch.  There are vendors, like Martha Stewart, who really understands food, cooking, and gardening, and I like her products.  Keep in mind that no vendor shows up alone.  Many people are employed because of him/her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
QVC Customer Care