Honored Contributor

Re: Celebrities Hocking their stuff on QVC

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

As the saying goes,"you can never be too thin or too rich".LOL I usually don't mind the celebs selling their products, but Jay Leno has more money than God, so I guess he just wants the exposure. I personally do not need anything a celeb is selling, but I do love Martha and did buy from her once.

@blackhole99

What is Jay Leno selling these days?

--------------

As for the comment in several threads here .... does ANYONE ever say "I guess I have enough oney now ... I don't need any more money"?     

Even billionnaires think they need more money .... and for those that are giving most of it away to good causes, why shouldn't they keep generating revenue?  Good for them!  

If indeed they are doing good deeds with all their extra money, that's great, but I'm still not buying anything from them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@lotsodogsncats wrote:

Is anyone else getting tired of all of the celebrities hocking their stuff on QVC now!

It's not that I don't like some of these celebrities, it's just getting a bit much.  Don't they have enough money already.  

They start with one product and then keep adding them on. 

To me it takes away from presenting the products of 'regular' vendors with the same products.  

@lotsodogsncats

You seem unaware that Celebrity Endorsements is a billion dollar industry .... and has been around forever.  Years ago, very famous actors endorsed products for companies with the stipulation that the commercials aired worldwide ... but never in the United States.   Good money and companies were willing to pay.   

Being a "celebrity" isn't a steady job and no one ever thinks they have "enough" money.   Make hay while the sun shines, so to speak.   

Sports figures endorse sneakers, Wheaties, golf clothing,   ....  the list goes on forever.  If they don't get at least a couple good endorsement contracts, they need a better business manager.

Going back .... Dinah Shore - Chevrolet.  Elizabeth Taylor - White Diamonds.    Years ago, Jaclyn Smith had a juicy contract with Max Factor and I saw the quarterly checks cut for her "participation".   Your jaw would drop if you knew how much money she got, even back then.

Today .....  go walk through a large department store's perfume counter and check out the celebrity names.  It's big business ... but no one is ever forcing you to buy anything.

Exactly.  Celebrity endorsements have been around since the days of black & white TV and only 3 channels.  It is by no means anything new.

In the US we have free enterprise, and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to make a living and sell what the market will bear.  If someone has good business sense or is advised by someone with good business sense, congrats to them!  Celebrity can be fleeting, and it makes perfect sense to make the most of their "name" while they can.  Their success or lack of success doesn't infringe on my own successes or failures. If any of us had the opportunity to launch something new and make money from it, we would likely do the same thing, so why shouldn't they?

We're all free to watch or not watch, and to buy or not buy - exactly the same as with everything else that's offered for sale on QVC and elsewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of celebrities endorse a product or rep a product and the proceeds go towards charity- Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Matt Damon, Steph Curry to name a few.

I'm not bothered by the celebs on QVC.  Most don't last very long.  There is a thread raving about Catherine Zeta Jones and her product.  Posters were suggesting that she venture into selling clothing.