Esteemed Contributor

Celebrate the big 50 years of marriage... Advice on what to do

My daughter let the cat out of the bag and said she and her sisters wanted to provide a way to celebrate our 50th.  She asked for some suggestions.  She said they could invite friends.  Well we dance and we have a list of over 300 friends (I kid you not)  She said we could go to  a restaurant with these friends nit knowing how many.  She also suggested we all go away to a retreat and the family could be together... somewhere on some remote mountain ... probably get lost going there.  

We could have a large square dance but that would take planning that they are not aware of... callers... room with wood floor... food brought it.  Lots of trouble for them... 

What to do ... what to do.  Help... any advice would be appreciated.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Celebrate the big 50 years of marriage... Advice on what to do

Our 50th came and passed on without anything really different. It's a milestone all right. Celebrate it any way you wish.

Honored Contributor

Congrats! Ours is late summer. What would you like to do? That's what I was waiting for..

Trusted Contributor

I would say that after being married for 50 years, you and your husband should plan a celebration that would be meaningful for you both.....something that would really make you happy.  That's my vote!

Respected Contributor

Bonnielu, have you expressed your concerns and desires to your daughters about this event?   What do they say?  What would you like to do?  Can you really not narrow down 300 friends to just a few of your very closest friends and family?  I think if you all sit down together to plan, you can arrive at something special.  Congrats on your 50th!

Esteemed Contributor

Have you considered a marriage vow renewal service with wedding gown, reception, etc.?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I say go for whatever feels most comfortable for you.   

My husband and I had a very small family only wedding, with the reception at my grandparents house.  I am not a people person, and do not really enjoy any type of gathering.   My family knows the only thing I would participate in would be a simple family meal here at home.   No people, no party, no restaurant.   

Respected Contributor

My thoughts are if you want to have a big party with family and friends to do it. We do alot of 50th anniversary partys and it is so nice to see a couple who have stayed together raised a family and still enjoy being with each other. Also there is nothing more beautiful then watching a couple who still love each other out there on the dance floor dancing to to the anniversary waltz. We do all kinds of celebration parties but my favorite are the 50th wedding anniversary.Ours would have been 55 years but my husband passed away when we were married 36 years so congradulations to you and your husband and I hope you celebrate any way that will make your day a happy and blessed day and I hope that you are blessed with many more happy, healthy anniversary days.

Honored Contributor

This is a timely post as I need to start planning for my parents' 50th and need some ideas Congrats to you and your husband OP!

Honored Contributor

My parents had gotten married in the middle of WW11 and did not have a wedding so for their 50th we were going to give them a wedding reception. We had a fire hall, a 40's swing band and a caterer. My Mom got a new dress that was probably the most expensive and prettiest dress she had ever owned, my Dad got a new suit. He bought my Mom a new diamond ring too, but she didn't know it. Sadly - 3 months before the big event my Mom suddenly passed away. Anyway, I say go for the big party. it's a once in a lifetime event - enjoy it. Congratulations.