Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

contact a lawyer they can answer you

Yes....one of those lawyers you see the ads for on TV were the clients say so and so got me a million dollars....... why not?

Ha!  That's exactly how I would never want to be! That's why I've been torn and I needed anonymous advice. I've never even considered using in my life, but this incident has made me feel a need for justice.

Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Contact lawyer, keep excellent records of all bills, doctor visits, phone calls etc.

You may even have suffered a traumatic brain injury from the fan. Get a neurologist on record as well.

Right! I read about a lady who thought she was fine after a.head laceration like mine and then got epilepsy. Thank you so much for your caring advice!!!

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I think it’s funny how this has turned into the crime of the century. I’m picturing high powered attorneys with boxes of documents shuffling into a courtroom to face a packed jury box. Judge Judy ready to sort out all the evidence. You are going to settle with the insurance company. There is no suing. You can do it by yourself or hand 1/3 of your check to Johnnie Cochran. 

Your medical insurance company will want to be paid back by their company, but they go after them. Not you. It’s just passing on information 

@scatcat  The insurance companies have their lawyers-why shouldn't she?

This isn't a crime of the century but the OP is scarred and could possible have future issues with a head injury.

None of us can know all the ins and outs of the situation; better the OP at least get a consultation and take it from there.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@happyplace2 wrote:

@twocent wrote:

Consult a licensed attorney , not just practicing ones on the boards Woman Wink

LOL! I love the QVC community so much! Everyone has been above and beyond caring snd helpful. It has really comforted me!

@happyplace2  Let us know how it all turns out for you and I hope you will heal quickly.

Stay away from the owners, as I know you will.   You have already rejected the paltry check the insurance company offered so your dealings with them is done.

Now it is time for your lawyer to do his/her thing for you. 

Good luck and all the best to you.

My heartfelt thanks to you for your kindness and great advice!! Will do and I will post the resolution for sure but have a feeling it will be a while. I will start a new post for it and hopefully can help somebody else with the info. 

Respected Contributor

My goodness how odd, I've installed ceiling fans & if they start to come loose they wobble like crazy. Sorry that happened to you....Best Wishes.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Back in the mid 80's my dentist had just stopped examining my teeth and he had turned toward my chart behind him when the overhead light (the one they move all over to see in your mouth) fell and landed on my chest.  He got it off me so fast it knocked the breath right out of me but I was so thankful he had just moved his head or he would have been seriously hurt. 

His son who was a young boy at the time and is now by dentist since his Dad retired.  I did not sue anyone but that was just my choice for a crazy thing that caused a bruise and a bit of pain.  You probably have at least a two year statue of limitations if not four years to make a final decision.  You never know what might develop down the road so document all.

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Back in the mid 80's my dentist had just stopped examining my teeth and he had turned toward my chart behind him when the overhead light (the one they move all over to see in your mouth) fell and landed on my chest.  He got it off me so fast it knocked the breath right out of me but I was so thankful he had just moved his head or he would have been seriously hurt. 

His son who was a young boy at the time and is now by dentist since his Dad retired.  I did not sue anyone but that was just my choice for a crazy thing that caused a bruise and a bit of pain.  You probably have at least a two year statue of limitations if not four years to make a final decision.  You never know what might develop down the road so document all.

This is important.  Been there, done that.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

In post 6 you say that you did consult a lawyer and he/she says you have a case and yet you keeping posting asking for advice.  Why are you asking us for legal advice when we are not lawyers?  if you don’t think the lawyer you spoke to gave you good advice then consult another lawyer but asking posters on a shopping forum for legal,advice does not make good sense.  either take the advice the lawyer gave you or get another LAWYER’S opinion.

Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I think it’s funny how this has turned into the crime of the century. I’m picturing high powered attorneys with boxes of documents shuffling into a courtroom to face a packed jury box. Judge Judy ready to sort out all the evidence. You are going to settle with the insurance company. There is no suing. You can do it by yourself or hand 1/3 of your check to Johnnie Cochran. 

Your medical insurance company will want to be paid back by their company, but they go after them. Not you. It’s just passing on information 

Thank you for the excellent laugh! Great writing! You cracked me up and I needed that. Picture me dramatically revealing my creepy eyebrow to the courtroom to gasps of horror!

I thought it would be an open and shut settlement. But my scabs are still healing and I was just told $1000 for everything was their one and final offer. 

Honored Contributor

Whoever paid for your medical expenses until now should get all that money back from the owner of the fan.

Its called subrogation.

Honored Contributor

@happyplace2 wrote:
Thank you, did that. My lawyer said I have a case but I'm unsure. I think the fan was a DIY install that failed but the homeowner and their insurance.company have adamantly denied fault from day one. What if I end up with no medical and a lawyer bill!

\\

Get another lawyer.

You shouldn't have to pay unless the lawyer gets you a settlement

Then the lawyer gets some of the settlement money, the percentage is negotiable.