Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

@twocent wrote:

Consult a licensed attorney , not just practicing ones on the boards Woman Wink

LOL! I love the QVC community so much! Everyone has been above and beyond caring snd helpful. It has really comforted me!

Honored Contributor

Contact lawyer, keep excellent records of all bills, doctor visits, phone calls etc.

You may even have suffered a traumatic brain injury from the fan. Get a neurologist on record as well.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Consult with a good personal injury attorney.  He/she will figure out what compensation you may receive.  The insurer for the homeowner will very likely settle this case.  Do not accept the current offer or cash the check offered.  Let your attorney do all communicating with the parties going forward.  Good luck.

Will do. Thank you for your kind advice!!!

Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

A meeting with a licenced attorney specializing in accidents should give you a good picture.  The consultations are free.  In fact if you call one and talk over the phone, they will tell you quite a bit.  Even refer you out, if they are busy or it is not their expertise.  Accident attorneys get part of the recovery funds

Thank you! I needed to hear that I shouldn't just settle.

Honored Contributor

@happyplace2 wrote:

@twocent wrote:

Consult a licensed attorney , not just practicing ones on the boards Woman Wink

LOL! I love the QVC community so much! Everyone has been above and beyond caring snd helpful. It has really comforted me!

@happyplace2  Let us know how it all turns out for you and I hope you will heal quickly.

Stay away from the owners, as I know you will.   You have already rejected the paltry check the insurance company offered so your dealings with them is done.

Now it is time for your lawyer to do his/her thing for you. 

Good luck and all the best to you.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@happyplace2, did you sign a rental agreement/contract?  If so, does it contain a hold harmless or at your own risk provision?

Regardless, you need an attorney and you need to document, document, document.  Everything--not only in regard to the rental and your injuries but your conversations with your attorney.  You have no way of knowing at this point what will be significant down the road.

My relative contented the cabin signed a liability waiver. I knew nothing about it. Will document, thank you so much!

Respected Contributor

I think it’s funny how this has turned into the crime of the century. I’m picturing high powered attorneys with boxes of documents shuffling into a courtroom to face a packed jury box. Judge Judy ready to sort out all the evidence. You are going to settle with the insurance company. There is no suing. You can do it by yourself or hand 1/3 of your check to Johnnie Cochran. 

Your medical insurance company will want to be paid back by their company, but they go after them. Not you. It’s just passing on information 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

DO NOT accept any money from their insurance co. They want to get rid of you. Yes - Get a lawyer - who deals with this type of injury. Lawyers specialize. You have been badly injured --- and should get lots more $$$$$$$ - these are permanent injuries. You also need to get several references on the lawyer and his law firm - as there are very good and very bad lawyers out there. Sorry about this accident --- horrible. You also don't know how long the pain will take to subside, and how the scar will heal, etc. so --- do not accept a settlement (and don't sign anything) without a lawyer handling it. Once u sign something without a lawyer - it's over.

I collected a BIG settlement from an ex-employer - as I injured myself at work in 1999. I got a lawyer and made out very well. 

Respected Contributor

@happyplace2 wrote:
Stayed at a VRBO cabin. A ceiling fan on their porch fell on me and cut my head (it was running but gave no warning it was about to fall.) I had to get 5 stitches and a tetanus booster. Property owner wants to cover only my out of pocket medical expenses. I now have a scar on my face and part of my eyebrow is gone. It really hurt foe a couple of weeks and was stressful. I'm on antibiotics now for a lump that developed under the injury. Their insurance company offered me a check for $1000 but I doubt that will cover medical and gives me no pain and suffering compensation. What would you do?

Above all, don't sign off on anything.  Once you do,  you forfeit any further legal action against them.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Of course sue, it's the way of the world today.  If that happened to me, I would have used my health insurance and called it a day.

@Blingqueen023, there are very legitimate reasons for suing. The fact that there are obviously litigious people out there should never dissuade an honest lawsuit. It's our protection against negligent and/or irresponsible people or businesses.

@suzyQ3 I respectively disagree.  Accidents happen.  If it were me, I would use my health insurance and move on.  Everybody today is sue happy.  You look at somebody cross eyed you'll get sued.  You tap somebody with your car you get sued, and so on and so.