Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

Excellent point and I.will.take.your advice. I feel like I have nothing to.hide and the truth of the case is clear but your are so right to be prudent. Like right now I would hand the opposition.this forum because it's so glaringly obvious to everyone what the right thing.to.do.is, but I'm.sure they'd twist it to.save.$. Thank you!!!

Respected Contributor

@happyplace2 wrote:
Excellent point and I.will.take.your advice. I feel like I have nothing to.hide and the truth of the case is clear but your are so right to be prudent. Like right now I would hand the opposition.this forum because it's so glaringly obvious to everyone what the right thing.to.do.is, but I'm.sure they'd twist it to.save.$. Thank you!!!

@happyplace2

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about what you posted here. No one knows your real name and if you don't mention it, no one is going to ask your screen name. 

Sometimes people watch a Little too much CSI.  you didn't say anything damaging and they simply aren't going to check a shopping site. I know this. I worked in the industry for over 40 years

Respected Contributor

See a lawyer with as much documentation as possible,

don’t sign anything.

Honored Contributor

@happyplace2Did you discuss your fears with the lawyer?  Many personal injury lawyers get paid a percentage of the eventual award to you -  and they tend not to accept cases they feel they have no chance of winning.

You seem to have documented injuries as well as some permanent scarring -  although last spring I fell (my own stupidity) and was certain I'd have scars even though my injuries weren't as bad as yours sound to be.  Fortunately, I don't have a visible scar.

If I were you -  I'd head back to the lawyer and get more answers. 

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Of course sue, it's the way of the world today.  If that happened to me, I would have used my health insurance and called it a day.

@Blingqueen023, there are very legitimate reasons for suing. The fact that there are obviously litigious people out there should never dissuade an honest lawsuit. It's our protection against negligent and/or irresponsible people or businesses.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Did you take photos

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

You definately have a case & will be entitled to much more than 1,000 ... if you haven't already contacted a lawyer get yourself a good personal injury lawyer & have him pursue this for you ... good luck!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@happyplace2

I don’t know what VRBO stands for, but they should have insurance for these type of unfortunate events. 

@LTT1Vacation Rentals By Owner

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happyplace2 wrote:

@happyplace2  I'm sorry for your injury. 

First, do not print out this thread and show it to anyone.

Second, find a lawyer who will provide a free consultation.  Most will.

Third: Many lawyers accept no fee unless your case is won. 

Fourth:  By no means- DO NOT contact the insurance company or the owner.  Let  a lawyer do this.  If you start contacting they could turn around and accuse you of harassment.

Fifth:  Be prepared for the owner to try and claim YOU did something to cause the fan to break.

Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer.  Keep away from the other parties involved-the owners and their insurance company.

Document with photos of your injuries and keep a second set of photos and all medical records in a safe place until you find a lawyer-he/she will keep a set for you.

I wish you all the best-you deserved compensation.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

A lot of lawyers will work for you and with the understanding they only get paid if you do. I would definitly contact a lawyer to find out what your rights are. The owners of the cabin should be held responsible not only for poor workmanship but for your pain and suffering.