Honored Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

@happyplace2
I’m sorry it has been awful already😢
Also, it is clear to me that you mean well and are wanting to be reasonable/honest.
I hope you pursue this the right way for your own protection.
What a shame!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

Thank you so much! I am so naive about suing. It just felt so insulting to me that they just want to be as cheap as possible. I would have wanted to give the injured whatever they needed to feel better if try is had happend at my property but they've just been making me jump through hoops and fighting me every step of the way. It's really bizarre because it's small.potatoes to Allstate and it seems like an open and shut case but they are being mean to me, the victim! And I think I've been totally reasonable. They turned it around into me.having to fight for my rights while I recover, which is crazy to.me.
Contributor

Thank you for your positive character judgment! That's what I think but I questioned myself when I got.the other side's responses. Thank you so much for.taking the time to help.me!!!
Respected Contributor

Keep a timeline of events and record of everything.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would check all options. You have a scar on your face and that will require laser etc. to treat. You should do laser asap so the likelihood of a noticeable scar is minimized.

Once you get a bill for your medical bills, consult with a dermatologist/plastic surgeon and then consult with an attorney. They usually don't charge unless you win. This will give your lawyer the information needed to know how much to ask for. This is not only about medical bills but cosmetic as well.

I don't know how they can deny fault when the ceiling fan fell on you. It's clear to me that the owner(s) of the cabin are responsible. 

You should also look into going public with your story if they don't offer you a better deal. That might give you the leverage you need so they give you more money as compensation.

You could've been seriously injured. I think that should factor into your compensation. I wish you all the best. Be strategic, smart and determined. This shouldn't have happened to you. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@happyplace2 wrote:
Thank you so much! I am so naive about suing. It just felt so insulting to me that they just want to be as cheap as possible. I would have wanted to give the injured whatever they needed to feel better if try is had happend at my property but they've just been making me jump through hoops and fighting me every step of the way. It's really bizarre because it's small.potatoes to Allstate and it seems like an open and shut case but they are being mean to me, the victim! And I think I've been totally reasonable. They turned it around into me.having to fight for my rights while I recover, which is crazy to.me.

@happyplace2  You're taking this very personally, and that's not how Allstate perceives it.  They're seeing this as a business decision, and they want to get by with as little as possible.  I'm afraid that if you don't bring a lawyer into this you're going to end up with many more bills down the road that will be your responsibility to pay.  They should be paying for every expense that you have at the very least.

Just trying to be helpful in letting you know that we don't know who you're replying to in your posts.  I know you're new to the Boards so you have no reason to know this.  When you reply to a post it's not posted directly below the post you're replying to.  It goes to the end of the thread.  After you hit "Reply" you need to go to the upper right corner of the thread and click on "Quote."  That will bring the post you're replying to into the block.  Then skip a few spaces to separate your post from what you're quoting and type your reply.  I hope this is helpful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Happy to hear you are doing fine now.  I would advise you to remove any posts you have made on social media for your protection until your Law Firm instructs you on how to proceed.  Good Luck dear and sorry you had this accident.

Contributor

Thank you! Will do.
Honored Contributor

check with lawyer they will tell you yes or no.

my personal opinion would be yes it is a law suit case

Respected Contributor

The $1000 is an opening offer. Personal injury cases are always negotiable.

If you haven't already, you need to send the insurance company copies of your bills and photos of your injury.

Make sure you are finished with medical care before you discuss settlement. Get a note from the doctor regarding the permanence of the scar.

You are probably entitled to your med bills, pain and suffering and an additional amount if the scar is permanent. The amou t depends on the severity of the scar. You may have to pay your health insurance carrier back from the proceeds of the settlement.

Look up the STATUTE of Limitations for your state. That will tell you how long you have to settle or file suit. You don't have to rush into anything.

If you hire a lawyer he or she will get at least one third of your eventual settlement. He or she will not file suit right off the bat, so if you can do the negotiations yourself, you won't have to ,lose a third of your settlement.

Good luck.