Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

If you're permanently scarred you should definitely sue. I'm sorry that happened to you,it sounds like an awful experience.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Contributor

(I meant "really" appreciate it!)
Respected Contributor

How much were the medical bills? Do you have medical insurance?

BTW you are not suing, you are filing a claim 

Contributor

Thank you so much for the moral support! Everyone on here.is helping.me.so.much and I just.thank.you all!!!
Respected Contributor

Of course sue, it's the way of the world today.  If that happened to me, I would have used my health insurance and called it a day.

Contributor

Bills haven't all come in yet and the Urgent Care Clinic where they stitched me up couldn't estimate charges. I do have insurance so we've been using it for everything but I contacted both my insurance.and.the insurance company of Rental Cabin.owner to let them know the liability should be on them.
Respected Contributor

Contact an attorney, and DO NOT post about or discuss it any further. If you DO sue, this will all become part of discovery, which the defense will try to use to their advantage. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Absolutely do NOT take the $1,000.  It will be settled at that point.  Your lawyer needs to pursue this for you.  You will definitely end up with more than $1,000.  I would think it would be considerably more.  Don't worry about ending up with nothing.  That won't happen.  You deserve compensation for this and for more than just your medical bills.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I agree, the money you were offered is a pittance.  You may have to have another surgery to fix the scar.  It doesn't matter by whom or how the  fan was installed, the home owner was responsible for assuring it was safe.  I'd say you have a case too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

That's what I might end up doing. I'm the opposite of litigious. It just feels.like this would be a situation where the insurance.company could try to make things right. And I truly believe this could have been avoided.with a proper install. I'm just glad it didn't hit any kids or cut my eye out
It's made.me.a.bit angry.