Respected Contributor

Re: Ceiling Fan Fell On My Head - Should I Sue?

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Another thing @happyplace2, if I were you I would find a lawyer and let them do the talking for you. You should never say anything because you don't know well enough if what you are saying will hurt your case or not. 

Do you have a regular lawyer that you use right now and trust. If so tell him you are looking for a personal injury attorney and would like his/her best recommendation. I would be leery with picking an attorney off the television. I would want my personal injury attorney chosen by someone who also works in the field and has a great reputation.

I have seen a lot of posters say something like "well I guess I am too nice because I would just use my insurance, not sue and not say anything". Well no, you are not too nice, you are likely just too foolish especially considering you are willing to lie and claim this accident happened in your house. If that were found out you would be risking not being able to use your own insurance if another problem arose from it and not being able to have your medical bills paid for using theirs. I don't go out looking to sue anyone but I also won't be put in a position where I will be paying for bills that are through no fault of my own. That is just foolish.

I still stand by that statement.  Geeeeeeeeesh, you might think the homeowner did something wrong.  It was an unfortunate incident and the poster isn't on death's door!!  She can use her health insurance and take an apology from the home owner.  She doesn't sound too sick to me if she can sit at a darn computer and post all these posts.  I'm sorry but this whole thread is totally ridiculous and not called for.  She got her sympathy and now she can ride off into the sunset.  

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Another thing @happyplace2, if I were you I would find a lawyer and let them do the talking for you. You should never say anything because you don't know well enough if what you are saying will hurt your case or not. 

Do you have a regular lawyer that you use right now and trust. If so tell him you are looking for a personal injury attorney and would like his/her best recommendation. I would be leery with picking an attorney off the television. I would want my personal injury attorney chosen by someone who also works in the field and has a great reputation.

I have seen a lot of posters say something like "well I guess I am too nice because I would just use my insurance, not sue and not say anything". Well no, you are not too nice, you are likely just too foolish especially considering you are willing to lie and claim this accident happened in your house. If that were found out you would be risking not being able to use your own insurance if another problem arose from it and not being able to have your medical bills paid for using theirs. I don't go out looking to sue anyone but I also won't be put in a position where I will be paying for bills that are through no fault of my own. That is just foolish.

I still stand by that statement.  Geeeeeeeeesh, you might think the homeowner did something wrong.  It was an unfortunate incident and the poster isn't on death's door!!  She can use her health insurance and take an apology from the home owner.  She doesn't sound too sick to me if she can sit at a darn computer and post all these posts.  I'm sorry but this whole thread is totally ridiculous and not called for.  She got her sympathy and now she can ride off into the sunset.  

@Blingqueen023 It really has nothing to do with how sick or injured she is or appears to be, or even whether the homeowner did anything intentionally wrong.  It is unethical (and possibly out of compliance with her contract with her health insurer) to use her personal health insurance for injuries someone else may be legally responsible for. I say "may be" because that is up to the law and insurance companies to decide and will vary by state/circumstances. But they can't decide that appropriately without full details.  Your way could work if the insurance company doesn't ask more specific questions that you'd then be forced to lie about. But they almost always ask for more details these days.  And @Irshgrl31201 is 100% correct that if the health insurance company finds out or even suspects someone else should be held liable and you didn't tell them that or lied about it, they could very well deny your claims and rescind payment, leaving you with thousands owed to the providers. Good luck then getting the appropriate party to pay what they should have in the first place. The OP did the right thing notifying the homeowner's insurance company, but she can't accept an obviously insufficient settlement without really putting herself at huge financial risk. At this point she has to file suit just to protect herself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

You can stand by your statement all you want  @Blingqueen023it is still wrong and some of the reasons why are explained in @WenGirl42 post.

Do you not understand it doesn't matter if it was an accident or not? Are you telling me if you got hit by a driver who damaged your car and caused you to have both medical bills  and bills to fix your car you would not sue them to pay for both your car and medical bills because it was an accident? Rarely do people get into a car and start to drive with the intent to get into an accident. Hence the name car accident.

No, she is not on deaths door but she did have to get stitches through no fault of her own and now she is out half of an eyebrow which could very well be permanent and skin that has had trauma to it doesn't always support the growth of hair. That is permanent cosmetic damage. Along with death, broken bones, tendon, muscle and nerve damage, that is one of the biggest reasons people sue.

Also when you go to the ER they ask you how this happened and why you are getting stitches and they notate this. If she were to settle this case for the $1000 they offered, she would then be responsible for not only all of the medical bills paid to date but any unforeseen medical bills. Her insurance company will eventually find out the circumstances of this accident and since it was due to the fault of someone else, they will refuse to pay and if they have already paid they will require to be paid back. This same thing happened to me from an auto accident. Once they found out the other party was responsible for the accident, the other drivers insurance was used to pay all my bills going forward and they also went after the other persons insurance for the initial bill that they paid for. 

Auto insurance obviously doesn't handle this since it happened in the home but homeowners insurance does. She is obligated to tell her health insurance this. 

It doesn't matter if the homeowner did anything wrong at all. If you fall on my sidewalk, jumping on my trampoline, my dog bites you or you break your leg falling down my stairs, I am still responsible. This is especially true if I install a fan improperly by trying to do it myself instead of calling a professional and it falls on one of my renters head. Even if I had called a professional and they installed it and it fell on one of my renters head, I would still be responsible for it. If anything in your house like a light or fan hurts someone visiting, you are responsible for it.

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that they couldn't be sued because you THINK it wasn't the homeowners fault (which it absolutely is especially if it was a DIY project) or if it was an unfortunate accident. It does not matter if she sounds too sick or not. She should for sure have 100% of her medical bills paid and also any cosmetic work that can be done fixing her eyebrow too. She didn't say that she was sick and I don't think she was looking for sympathy, simply telling what had happened. Geeeeeeeeesh!

Her insurance should not have to pay this because this is the fault of another and if her insurance finds out about this you can bet they will be collecting from the homeowners. It is wrong to let them pay for it when it is the responsibility of another.

I mean you can stand by anything you want but that doesn't change you from being wrong on nearly everything you said. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

You can stand by your statement all you want  @Blingqueen023it is still wrong and some of the reasons why are explained in @WenGirl42 post.

Do you not understand it doesn't matter if it was an accident or not? Are you telling me if you got hit by a driver who damaged your car and caused you to have both medical bills  and bills to fix your car you would not sue them to pay for both your car and medical bills because it was an accident? Rarely do people get into a car and start to drive with the intent to get into an accident. Hence the name car accident.

No, she is not on deaths door but she did have to get stitches through no fault of her own and now she is out half of an eyebrow which could very well be permanent and skin that has had trauma to it doesn't always support the growth of hair. That is permanent cosmetic damage. Along with death, broken bones, tendon, muscle and nerve damage, that is one of the biggest reasons people sue.

Also when you go to the ER they ask you how this happened and why you are getting stitches and they notate this. If she were to settle this case for the $1000 they offered, she would then be responsible for not only all of the medical bills paid to date but any unforeseen medical bills. Her insurance company will eventually find out the circumstances of this accident and since it was due to the fault of someone else, they will refuse to pay and if they have already paid they will require to be paid back. This same thing happened to me from an auto accident. Once they found out the other party was responsible for the accident, the other drivers insurance was used to pay all my bills going forward and they also went after the other persons insurance for the initial bill that they paid for. 

Auto insurance obviously doesn't handle this since it happened in the home but homeowners insurance does. She is obligated to tell her health insurance this. 

It doesn't matter if the homeowner did anything wrong at all. If you fall on my sidewalk, jumping on my trampoline, my dog bites you or you break your leg falling down my stairs, I am still responsible. This is especially true if I install a fan improperly by trying to do it myself instead of calling a professional and it falls on one of my renters head. Even if I had called a professional and they installed it and it fell on one of my renters head, I would still be responsible for it. If anything in your house like a light or fan hurts someone visiting, you are responsible for it.

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that they couldn't be sued because you THINK it wasn't the homeowners fault (which it absolutely is especially if it was a DIY project) or if it was an unfortunate accident. It does not matter if she sounds too sick or not. She should for sure have 100% of her medical bills paid and also any cosmetic work that can be done fixing her eyebrow too. She didn't say that she was sick and I don't think she was looking for sympathy, simply telling what had happened. Geeeeeeeeesh!

Her insurance should not have to pay this because this is the fault of another and if her insurance finds out about this you can bet they will be collecting from the homeowners. It is wrong to let them pay for it when it is the responsibility of another.

I mean you can stand by anything you want but that doesn't change you from being wrong on nearly everything you said. 

@Irshgrl31201 and  I can say the same for you.  End of conversation.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Well except for mine is based in actual facts @Blingqueen023 and yours is not. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 That's your opinion just like I have my opinion.  I respect that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 That's your opinion just like I have my opinion.  I respect that. 

I think it is fine that your opinion is that she shouldn't sue @Blingqueen023. What I am talking about that is factual is not about that but the part about the insurances and how she could be held responsible if her insurance decided that the rentals homeowners insurance should pay any medical bills. That is a very real scenario if they find out and it would be very easy for them to find out. Have a good night. Smiley Happy

JFK
QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...