Honored Contributor

Cedar Rapids Derecho on 8/10/20

Watching the mess,  the people there recorded on You Tube films.  What a mess. My heart goes out to all of you.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cedar Rapids Derecho on 8/10/20

My DS and his family are west of Cedar Rapids.  They were without power for only two days, but then yesterday lost power again. 

The Cedar Rapids area is terrible.  Every school in the city had damage.  They don't know when they will be able to start school. 

Esteemed Contributor

That’s sad to hear.  I love Cedar Rapids.

Trusted Contributor

Just heard from my college BFF who lives in Cedar Rapids.  She got power back last night after 7 days and 7 hours.  She feels fortunate because her home had minor damage compared to many.  She bought a generator 6 years ago and said it was the best purchase ever.

Respected Contributor

Many areas of Iowa were hit hard by this strange storm. I never heard of it before now

Super Contributor

Thanks for posting about it. So many from around the country are helping us despite national news ignoring, "fly over" people. Linesman are doing in days what would normally take 8 months or more.
Esteemed Contributor

Your post encouraged me to read more about Iowa's storm and look at photos. I had no idea about the destruction derechos cause. Stay strong, northern neighbor. Sending you good thoughts. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

We live in Marion which adjoins Cedar Rapids. We were on vacation when the storm hit & just returned today after we got  our power back on. It was out from 8/10 early afternoon. until late 8/17. We were very fortunate, we had minimal roof damage, shingles raised but no leaking from the driving rain which accompanied the storm. Near us were houses who lost there roofs & many had water damage from roof leaks & water being blown in around the windows. Our mayor reported that every home & business in our town of 40,000 had damage.

Then there are the trees that were uprooted, came down or were damaged. It is heartbreaking. One of our sons lost 30 trees at the back of his lot. Part of the problem with the  trees was many streets & roads were completely blocked making it difficult to get around & to even get to people. Besides power being out, internet  & phone/ service was absent, delayed or unreliable.

We live in a newer part of town with underground utilities. But other parts have above ground & the repair/clean process has been hampered by that.

People have been helping each other. Our neighbors cleaned up our yard since we weren't home. My next door neighbor took photos of our roof so we could send them to our insurance agent to get our claim process started. It was a miracle that she got them sent as early as she did. People are working together & sharing their resources.

Another widespread problem is perishable food loss. Many, including us had food spoil in refrigerators & freezers. Our kids came over Sun & emptied rotting food from a side by side inside & freezer in the garage. We will be ok but many don't have the resources to replace it. 

Then there are businesses that are gone. My favorite coffee place in an 1800s house had the roof completely torn off. A popular local pizza place had the back of the building torn off & walls are leaning inward. The local library sustained enough damage that it isn't repairable. They were planning to vote this fall to build a new one  because we needed a larger one.

Although knowledge of the storm & the destruction hasn't been well known until recently, we are getting help. FEMA, Red Cross, Samaritan's Purse, God's Pit Crew! Convoy of Hope & many other groups are here. Several local restaurants have been going to hard hit areas, especially lower income & feeding people everyday. We are all so grateful for the linemen from all over the country who have been restoring the power. 

Many have been overwhelmed & discouraged, feeling helpless & forgotten. It will take a long time but there is hope!