Valued Contributor

Re: Cecil Beanie Baby Unveiled

@Moonchilde wrote:

@debc wrote:

Call me cynical but I have doubts of the 'humanitarian efforts' for a guy who's just been convicted of tax evasion.

While it may raise more awareness it's certainly not going to fund much.   They can make the profit very small, sometimes it's not even 10%.

They are adorable and affordable, so if you want one I'd say go for it, but to think it's going to benefit anyone but TY is delusional IMO anyway.   This is not the first time they've done this either.

The wildlife would benefit a lot more if people send money directly to it, but then no one would have a toy. 

You might want to read this article in full.  100% of the profits will go to the foundation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cecil-lion-beanie-baby_55c0dd6ce4b053bc04e90758

Thank you.  I read this as well and am planning on buying one.  With 100% going to the foundation, Iam all for it.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@debc wrote:

Call me cynical but I have doubts of the 'humanitarian efforts' for a guy who's just been convicted of tax evasion.

While it may raise more awareness it's certainly not going to fund much.   They can make the profit very small, sometimes it's not even 10%.

They are adorable and affordable, so if you want one I'd say go for it, but to think it's going to benefit anyone but TY is delusional IMO anyway.   This is not the first time they've done this either.

The wildlife would benefit a lot more if people send money directly to it, but then no one would have a toy. 

You might want to read this article in full.  100% of the profits will go to the foundation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cecil-lion-beanie-baby_55c0dd6ce4b053bc04e90758

Thank you.  I read this as well and am planning on buying one.  With 100% going to the foundation, Iam all for it.

And for those who have issues with HuffPost, the same information has been presented on mainstream news media such as ABC.

I would have thought it was cute, but *not bought* if I hadn't read that all (or even nearly all) of the profits were being donated.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Cute, but now there's more for Africans to laugh at because we won't stop giving them the material.  They've already made it clear that they care about the jobs.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@debc wrote:

Every charity has 'administrative costs', conservation groups included.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

Cute, but now there's more for Africans to laugh at because we won't stop giving them the material.  They've already made it clear that they care about the jobs.

People always seem to forget we can do more than one thing at a time.

Life isn't always based on decisions of either/or.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Pffffttt.....do I really care if the Africans laugh at me for caring about conservation of animal species?

Uh.....no, I don't.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

THANK YOU, IG!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@debc wrote:

Every charity has 'administrative costs', conservation groups included.

Absolutely,  and by the time that nickel(don't know actual proceed) goes through the foundation how much do you really think is going to go for the cause?

After seeing what the employees get paid in national fundraisers/foundations/etc.  we have chosen to stick with local charities where there's a slight chance more money will end up where I want it.  Now my husband does donate blood to the Red Cross.  LOL, he's a universal donor and they practically hound him for more.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SOME Africans care about being able to keep hunting guide jobs, bearer jobs, etc. That doesn't necessarily speak to what all Africans want in every part of every African country.

There is a great deal of money to be made, and IS being made, doing the exact same work for PHOTO safaris. The huge amounts of money made by hunting guides and their minions are because what they're doing, contrary to protestations, is often illegal or only quasi-legal in its various layers.

Not too very much different than African poachers cutting the hands off gorillas and horns off rhinos to sell. (Some) Africans hope that continues too. All of it puts food on tables - that doesn't make it right.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Pffffttt.....do I really care if the Africans laugh at me for caring about conservation of animal species?

Uh.....no, I don't.

No but they're likely not going to end trophy hunting because someone countries away don't like it either.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*