Honored Contributor

Re: Cavalcante captured. News conference at 9:30 EST

I just got home, but listened to part of the press conference this morning in the car.

We're not close to where he was, but I didn't know whether or not he had a car, or help, and whether he would go north OR south. I figured he might head to NYC, but I stopped going in the sunroom at night, and I locked up a lot earlier anyway. 

I understand the heat-seeking aircraft had to land for a while because of bad storms in that area.

Walking out yesterday we saw a loud helicopter circling around. Obviously it was not related, but we all stood there for a while. Everyone was a little more aware of things.

I like how LTC Bivens from the State Police said if the owner of the Eagles jersey Cavalcante stole would contact him he will make sure that person gets a brand new one!

Leave it to a DOG to save the day! That pup deserves a huge reward. I'm sure his handler gave him a special treat as well!  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Finally!  I was worried when they said he was armed.  That was a scary development.  So, the authorities will take their victory lap on national TV now.  I don't think they deserve it.  I think Cavalcante was starving, sick, exhausted without a plan.  He sat down under a tree and waited for them.  

@chrystaltree - I don't know what news reports you've listened to, but I haven't heard anything remotely like that.

He was said to have tried to escape by crawling through the brush and undergrowth, taking the stolen rifle with him.  They said he fought against being arrested.

It was the K9 that took him down.

He'd been stealing food, clothes, the rifle - so I doubt he was starving or sick either.  He's a cold-blooded killer; he wouldn't have just sat down and waited for them to arrest him.

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Finally!  I was worried when they said he was armed.  That was a scary development.  So, the authorities will take their victory lap on national TV now.  I don't think they deserve it.  I think Cavalcante was starving, sick, exhausted without a plan.  He sat down under a tree and waited for them.  

@chrystaltree - I don't know what news reports you've listened to, but I haven't heard anything remotely like that.

He was said to have tried to escape by crawling through the brush and undergrowth, taking the stolen rifle with him.  They said he fought against being arrested.

It was the K9 that took him down.

He'd been stealing food, clothes, the rifle - so I doubt he was starving or sick either.  He's a cold-blooded killer; he wouldn't have just sat down and waited for them to arrest him.

@chrystaltree @Venezia 

Agree, Venezia.  His mother told police he had survivalist training.

Respected Contributor

I read Iracema Cavalcante's comments in the New York Times article and don't put much credence in what she says.  

Respected Contributor

@threecees wrote:

Give that police dog a huge reward, a feast of a meal.

Caught wearing an Phila. Eagles sweatshirt and stolen boots from a porch.

download.jpg

Doggie should get a steak dinner every night for a week.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 

Too hot at night?? I don't know but you would think not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you been following the news lately--you know, the record-breaking heat waves and hurricanes in that part of the country...?

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I have been watching.  We, the tax payers get to support him for life. Deportation is a question mark because of concern that he will be released from Brazilian prision after a certain amount of time.  Too bad this "capture" did not end differently.  Not a win for anyone at this point. 

He  has been tried, convicted, and sentenced in the US. He can go to Brazil after he completes the sentence. That is how it works here.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

I'm relieved to know he's back in custody. He was smart enough to take advantage of mistakes people made, like leaving keys in a van which allowed him to steal it and travel farther than if he'd only been on foot, and storing a weapon in an open garage which he then stole. 

Early on law enforcement told the public that the extreme heatwave we were having would make it more difficult for officials to use infrared equipment to locate him. We were having temps that topped 90 degrees here and after 2 days of that, it wasn't really cooling off at night. 

As soon as the hot weather broke, they used a fixed wing plane with equipment that located him by body heat, and after some stormy weather overnight, they moved in on him this morning. When he tried to escape by crawling away with his gun, they released the dog.