Frequent Contributor

Caution Using Public Phone Charging Ports/Stations

On the Dr. Oz's show today, he did a segment with a hacker and the use of those public phone charging stations.

The hacker went on to say that hackers are putting spyware/malware into these charging stations.  With this installation, they can get and track and even see what you are doing on your phone, and even take your picture as well.

The investigator was talking to this hacker, he charged his phone and then went to his car for testing.  He called his wife, checked his bank account, ordered an item from Amazon; then he went back to the hacker to see what he was able to capture.  The hacker gave him his wife's phone number, plus her name; gave the guy his bank account number; and told him what gift he ordered for his son from Amazon; it also took his picture as well.

I just thought I'd share this info with you all ... I'm very challenged when it comes to computers and technical items, so hope this info mightt help.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Caution Using Public Phone Charging Ports/Stations

This scare has been around for a while and the rule is use your own wire and your own plug-in device instead of using someone else's. That also goes for those portable charging devices, only use your own. 

Respected Contributor

I've never used one of those. I've carried my own charger for as long as I can remember. It only weighs a few ounces and I can get 3-4 full charges from it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Never used a public type, but the floors at an airport are crowded by those using them.

Esteemed Contributor

Good that this was being publicized, but it's not new.  I saw this warning on TV  a couple of years ago.  

There are so many ways to compromise our CCs today.  Mr. Shoes just cancelled a card today because there was a $300 charge from a business he had never heard of, located across the country.  Of course, he has no idea how it was compromised.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags That's just awful, but thank GOODNESS he was able to stop the thief, before he/she was able to do significant damage before the transaction was discovered!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A lot of people over here give me 'a look' (a smirk) when I even casually mention that folks (in general) should be careful using their devices.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Because of stories like this, I have three 10000Mah portable power banks for whenever I travel, and have at least one with me whenever I am out and about.They provide hours of charge for multiple devices, and are very affordable.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

Because of stories like this, I have three 10000Mah portable power banks for whenever I travel, and have at least one with me whenever I am out and about.They provide hours of charge for multiple devices, and are very affordable.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I bought a set of four of those on HSN and they work great. I didn't know about public charging stations. I wouldn't trust something like that not to blow out the electronics of my phone, so the portable power banks are ideal if I'm traveling. Make great gifts, too.

Valued Contributor

Your first mistake is believing ANYTHING that hack Oz says.