Trusted Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

Mashed cauliflower with lots of black pepper and butter (yum) is actually quite tasty. I prefer steamed cauliflower rather than raw or overcooked cauliflower. It's more of a mind over matter thing, something that is white and mushy on your plate with your meat can *almost* taste like potatoes Woman LOL

dee

Honored Contributor

I know lot of veg. folks like the cauliflower pizza but I have never tried it.  Then again I have only had pizza once in the past 10 years so I do not feel like I would miss much for not having a reg. pizza dough.  But for mashed potatos and gravy here in Texas with Chicken Fried Steak ect.. I do not think I could go without the real thing.  If I ate mashed potatos a lot that would different but since it is only a few times a year I want the high calories high fat version.  Then back to my daily salads.  Can eat a few cauliflower in a salad if covered with enough other veggies.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sidsmom You & I seldom agree about much in regard to diet but it is correct that FAT is what causes TYPE 2 diabetes, not sugar. Type 2 make enough insulin but fats get in the way of them being able to use that insulin. So by limiting fats they can use their own insulin much better. 

However, you & I both know you can't convince the know it alls (who actually don't know anything) that this is true. I've given up trying a long time ago.

Not according to Eric Westman, M.D. of Duke University. Look it up.

Respected Contributor

I just eat potatoes.  I don't gorge on them.  I eat a moderate amount.

I also like yams.  I liked them baked and they're healtheir too.

I'll eat cauliflower on it's own, occasionally. 

I don't need to pretend it's something else, though. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
Lov 'em both, but they don't substitute for one another in my diet.
Sounds like a scheme by cauliflower growers to sell more cauliflower. Attach the word 'diet' to any food, and sales go up!

It actually started being promoted as an alternative (not substitute) to mashed potatoes for diabetics. I don't believe it had anything to do with growers, weight loss, etc.  Somewhere, a cauliflower-loving diabetic decided to whip something up, liked it, passed it on through diabetic discussion forums, and the concept was turned into it being a "substitute for" mashed potatoes by mainstream media once the idea grew outside of diabetic circles.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:
Lov 'em both, but they don't substitute for one another in my diet.
Sounds like a scheme by cauliflower growers to sell more cauliflower. Attach the word 'diet' to any food, and sales go up!

It actually started being promoted as an alternative (not substitute) to mashed potatoes for diabetics. I don't believe it had anything to do with growers, weight loss, etc.  Somewhere, a cauliflower-loving diabetic decided to whip something up, liked it, passed it on through diabetic discussion forums, and the concept was turned into it being a "substitute for" mashed potatoes by mainstream media once the idea grew outside of diabetic circles.

I was going to say the cauliflower rice bit has deeper roots than the diabetes community....more like the Atkins/Paleo people thought of it, but then I thought...those people a.r.e. the diabetic community.  

The plant-based community would never have a need for a fad like 'cauliflower rice' because diabetes doesn't run rampant in the Veg World. 

Respected Contributor

By the time you put butter into them to help make them taste better you just lost the it's healthier agrument.   In my case I also like to add a little parmesean so even lesss healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

By the time you put butter into them to help make them taste better you just lost the it's healthier agrument.   In my case I also like to add a little parmesean so even lesss healthy. 

But whose idea of "healthy?"  "Healthy" (or "unhealthy") means 10 different diets and Things To Avoid for 10 different people. I don't give a hoot about what other people's definition of "healthy" is; I eat what conventional medical science advises me to eat freely, or to not eat so much of.  I also don't abstain on a "can't/shouldn't/'unhealthy'" basis, in that I don't religiously avoid every single food every study has ever indicated might be bad for this, that and the other thing. I refuse to have a diet that consists of five foods because everything else has been termed "unhealthy" by someone at some point in time.

We do need some fats in our diet (butter) and there's nothing at all wrong with a sprinkle of cheese unless one is lactose-intolerant.  And no reason to think that if people do consume, for example, butter or cheese, it's daily and to excess.

The bottom line is the numbers on periodic lab work that most people have at least yearly to include liver and kidney function, cholesterol, a1c and others. 

Esteemed Contributor

Is mashed cauliflower going to taste like mashed potatoes? No, but it does serve a purpose and with an acquired taste, we actually like it better.  I use riced cauliflower (now available in grocery stores) to make fried rice. 

Also, after much experimentation,  I am so excited I have mastered making spaghetti squash that rivals angel hair pasta!  It's all about removing the water from the squash before baking and cutting it in rings rather than lengthwise.  

Honored Contributor

Having had the bag of frozen riced cauliflower, once with just salt & pepper and once with gravy, if I were to make it a frequent and regular part of my diet I would cook my own cauliflower and use a potato ricer. I would just prefer a somewhat less mushy texture - think from-scratch mashed potatoes hand-mashed vs mashed out of a box, or grocery store baby food texture jarred applesauce vs homemade applesauce with a more solid texture. I'd prefer my "mashed" cauliflower just a tad bit more al dente as opposed to on the soupy side.