Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cauliflower as a potato substitute.

@Moonchilde wrote:

Having had the bag of frozen riced cauliflower, once with just salt & pepper and once with gravy, if I were to make it a frequent and regular part of my diet I would cook my own cauliflower and use a potato ricer. I would just prefer a somewhat less mushy texture - think from-scratch mashed potatoes hand-mashed vs mashed out of a box, or grocery store baby food texture jarred applesauce vs homemade applesauce with a more solid texture. I'd prefer my "mashed" cauliflower just a tad bit more al dente as opposed to on the soupy side.

@Moonchilde

Stores now sell fresh riced cauliflower.  I agree with you, frozen sounds like it would be mushy!

Honored Contributor

I've never liked potatoes, and my least favorite way to eat them is mashed. 

I do use cauliflower as a substitute for rice, and like it a lot!  I've been buying the Trader Joe's frozen  riced cauliflower, but it seems to be getting harder to get since its in demand.  

today, I used a Mother's Day gift card to buy an attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer, so I can make my own  riced cauliflower. 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Having had the bag of frozen riced cauliflower, once with just salt & pepper and once with gravy, if I were to make it a frequent and regular part of my diet I would cook my own cauliflower and use a potato ricer. I would just prefer a somewhat less mushy texture - think from-scratch mashed potatoes hand-mashed vs mashed out of a box, or grocery store baby food texture jarred applesauce vs homemade applesauce with a more solid texture. I'd prefer my "mashed" cauliflower just a tad bit more al dente as opposed to on the soupy side.

@Moonchilde

Stores now sell fresh riced cauliflower.  I agree with you, frozen sounds like it would be mushy!

The Trader Joes frozen riced cauliflower is excellent.  If you can get it!  My local store only gets a small amount with each delivery. 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde

@magicmoodz, I didn't mention the fresh because I haven't tried it myself, although I do know it exists. I'd just prefer more control over the "bite factor." I eat a fair amount of cauliflower as cauliflower ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

I haven't tried the Trader Joe Cauliflower pizza crust but plan to try this next week.  I just barely looked at the item as I was in a hurry but I am a label reader and want to look it over.  Love that store - they are always coming up with something new.  Problem with my store is that it is freezing cold so unless I bundle up, I have to get in and get out.  I'll write a review if I buy it.