Respected Contributor

Re: Catnapper brand recliners, yay or nay?

I have a catnapper recliner loveseat in brown.  Bought it about 5 years ago from BX/PX because we wanted one that would sit close to wall.  It has been very comfortable but the fabric is beginning to wear.  It was less expensive than a LazyBoy.  I have been happy with it for the price point and purpose.

Honored Contributor

My husband had a Catnapper recliner prior to the recliner he has now.  Of all the recliners that have been in this house in 34 years, I was most disappointed with this one.  It was a birthday gift for him, and I thought for the price I was getting a nice, sturdy chair that would be around awhile.   That chair lasted less than 4 years, but looked so shabby when we hauled it outside to the burn pile, you would've thought it was really old.  The suede look fabric did not wear well, and was ready to split apart in the seat area, plus there were holes in the arm rest fabric.   The cushioning in both arm rests broke down; you could visibly see where the foam broke apart, and there were always big pieces of foam in the floor around the chair at the end of the day.  We thought there were at least 2 broken coils in the seat.  There are no children or pets on our furniture, and my husband is an average size man, so there were no other factors weighing in on the wear and tear of that recliner---it just was not a quality piece of furniture and was not worth what I paid for it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks all for your replies. 

Contributor

NO!  NO!  NO!

I had to comment on this as I have TWO of these hateful recliners taking up space in my living room - $1600 worth of overpriced recliners............

My husband and I are both disabled - these looked like the ultimate in comfortability when checking them out on Amazon before buying through Sears.  I read reviews on Amazon that were favorable.......

I ordered two in the sage green which is a different color in person.  And, the material is hot - the only way we can sit on them in the summer is by putting a flat sheet on them which looks silly, but works.

First, these are HUGE chairs.  Once it is delivered and put in place you will not be moving it, even on sliders, not on a regular basis anyway.

Yes, they are comfortable, at first.

I bought them in May 2013 - by the middle of June both handles had snapped off near the base making them a real pain to use.  I had to take a towel to help me recine mine.

I immediately contacted Sear's who ignored me.  I contacted the marketplace seller who ignored me.  I contacted the manufacturer who has to have the worst customer service ever and ironically, I was mis-sent an email from one of 'the' executives more or less telling c/s to deal with my issue as it wasn't HIS problem....and, his name is that of the company!

I finally had two new handles sent to me. Guess what?  The broken handles could not be removed!  Someone had GLUED them in place........would Sears or anyone come out to our home to try and do the repair?  NO!  They were never fixed and then I read reviews where it happened to other people and one man used a wrench to use the recliner part of the chair after the handle broke,   The company wanted to charge him for a replacement handle!  An $800 chair with a cheap handle that will not tolerate the weight of the reclining part of the chair - just incredibly stupid.

I am 5'8" and my husband is 6'.  A short/small person would not be able to recline this chair because the padding in the right arm is too much to bend over.  I should have bought a recliner with a power recliner. but didn't know then what I know now and no, it wasn't offered by this company.

The padding has more or less held up, but I would never, ever buy this chair again.

Show this posting to the saleman when he comes back in as to why you would not sell catnappers in your store!

I have also purchased two different type/style recliners from QVC with memory foam and both went to the Salvation Army when I bought the Catnappers.  I now know that buying something that a person has to 'fit' into needs to be done in person because there is no way of knowing how it is going to feel until you do.

My opinion only, of course, that is one Made in the USA company that fell short of manufacturing a quality product and worse, terrible customer service.  They just didn't care!

Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Who would want a camouflage recliner?  Sorry, but that popped up on the link.  

I have sold a couple to single men.  They look great in basements, man caves, cabins and log houses.

No, I wouldn't want one in my living room, but the guys love them. 

@mima

@tansy

I don't know if it was the brand you're talking about, but we went into a Bass Pro Shop about 18 months ago for the first time.  DH got some much needed casual clothing (fine quality for a very picky guy) and I found a camo recliner that was the MOST comfortable chair I have ever sat in in my life.  I would have purchased it on the spot, but I needed a recliner with an electric up and down vice the handle.  Boy, was that disappointing.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Who would want a camouflage recliner?  Sorry, but that popped up on the link.  

I have sold a couple to single men.  They look great in basements, man caves, cabins and log houses.

No, I wouldn't want one in my living room, but the guys love them. 

Yes! My husband went hunting with a couple of his friends last year for turkey. They went to a place that organizes hunts for people (not canned hunts) but they rented out this log cabin for the weekend and it was all hunting and rustic decor. They had several of the camo recliner chairs. While it isn't my taste and I would not have that in my house, it looked kinda neat they way they decorated it. It was a hunters heaven.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Woman LOLWoman LOL.... a camo chair, a GILI camo jacket, GILI camo pants, camo boots and a D & B camo handbag.... I'll sit down and NO ONE  will see me!!    LOL!

Lol!

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

I don't know anything about recliners. The first that I ever sat in was at my physical therapy place while I was being "iced"

-------However, I do see in the not so distant future a camo gili belt. (not for me )but to complete some of the gili outfits.