Honored Contributor

Off topic: Regarding commercials..........Who here isn't crazy about the vampire A*&T/ U-verse commercial? BTW: Seems as though they have spent thousands on us on paper mail advertising, too. A couple of mailings per week: large ones, too. Everyone around here is saying the same............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Every time I see those commercials, the word that comes to mind is a big "Ouch!" Glad Medicare is doing the right thing!

Honored Contributor

My husband uses catheters when the need arises. He has problems that come on very suddenly. We always keep catheters on hand at all times.

Back in 012 when problems presented itself (while he was across country attending a family funeral-his side of the family), we were on regular medical insurance back then. He flew home in agony-he was catheterized by the hospital before he flew back home--he went straight to the hospital when he arrived back in our state. He was only given a few catheters when he left the hospital here at home. We were told to reuse them because we would not be able to order anymore. In 014 (we are on medicare now ) DH got sick again wound up in the hospital and needed catheters once again, this time it was better, we were contacted by a national company who sells catheters and we were sent a sampling of catheters so my husband could choose which to use. He found the style he likes and has them on hand when he begins having problems

Honored Contributor

I always said I don't want to be 'coded' or 'cathed'.

Honored Contributor

I once went to catheterize a patient who was unable to void post surgery and he said no - i tried to talk him into it and he said "You see this body? I am the CEO of this body and that is not ever going to happen to it." I laughed so hard i could not breathe, then brought him a urinal and told him he would have to get it done before he could go home.

Super Contributor
24 for a month is mean.......am glad that the number was changed for those who require caths.......but why was the number set so low anyway??? Whoever was in charge needs to try using only 24 caths themselves for thirty days..........
Respected Contributor
I could do a lot of medical things to myself (shots, take blood, etc), but I don't think I could EVER cath myself. It makes me want to pass out just thinking about it. I've seen pts cathed before surgery, and I thought it was the worst part! Smiley Wink I am really glad that Medicare people are getting more paid for. The cost of a UTI in the elderly can be astronomical! I've had several pts that had severe UTI's that lived at home independently, and ended up being in a nursing home afterward, as they never fully recovered. It can be very sad and tragic.
Honored Contributor

I don't even know where it is!!! Where it would go.......

Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone who uses them, but there are a lot of commercials on this.

Respected Contributor
On 9/15/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I don't even know where it is!!! Where it would go.......

In a man, it is pretty obvious!

In a woman, more teaching may be needed!!

It's not that bad.

Hyacinth Wink