Honored Contributor

Just spoke with my daughter's second family, she grew up with them, the kids were either at our house or their's.  They are Filipino-American, a few of the 3.5 million in the US.

The mom and I were close, she died way too young from cancer,  Their father was a much older close compatriot of General Dwight D. Eisenhower during WW2.  Others in the family, brothers and cousins fought in the Philippines during WW2 with Americans, saving many American lives.

There's much more to that story for those interested in World War 2. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Catching Up On WW2

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

There's much more to that story for those interested in World War 2. 

"Killing the Rising Sun"--------Bill O'Reilly

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

All war is hell! My father served in the Marines, in the Phillipines, I believe, at least for part of his tour. He never spoke of it only a few guys he served with.  My fil was in 8th Air Force, was the waist gunner (I think that's what they called it). Other than saying he got frost bite, he never spoke of it either! I never heard any men who served in the war talk about it at all. After my fil died, one of his buddies wrote a book about their time. The only thing we ever knew about it!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

All war is hell! My father served in the Marines, in the Phillipines, I believe, at least for part of his tour. He never spoke of it only a few guys he served with.  My fil was in 8th Air Force, was the waist gunner (I think that's what they called it). Other than saying he got frost bite, he never spoke of it either! I never heard any men who served in the war talk about it at all. After my fil died, one of his buddies wrote a book about their time. The only thing we ever knew about it!

@Imadickens

Your father was quite a guy to have served in the Marines during WW2.  You are right to be very proud of him.

Honored Contributor

My FIL was a Marine on Iwo Jima during WWII. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My FIL was a Marine on Iwo Jima during WWII. 

@proudlyfromNJ

We've had several friends who were Marines.  Brave, brave men.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@Imadickens my dad was a Marine at Iwo Jima and was seriously wounded.  Without a brash, young doctor who stepped in he would have most definately lost his left arm if not his life.  He and my uncle volunteered even though both had families with small children.  I was very close to my dad and even when I asked him about his service he would never speak of it which to be honest I am kind of bummed but I guess it wouldn't really have changed anything as he was and is still my hero!  Heart

Honored Contributor

Lovely @momtochloe  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Lovely @momtochloe  Smiley Happy

Thank you for this very kind post @Noel7 as I still miss him every day as he was always not only my hero but my champion . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

My Dad was in the 98th Bomb Group. He and a bunch of his fellow service members worked hard and tried to find all the guys who served together, It was quite a group. They had reunions once a year, all over the country.

Yesterday I got back from my husband's reunion of his Vietnam Battalion. This was their 3rd reunion. And they are planning to get together next year. I never went to their reunions before but I am so glad I did. Met a bunch of wonderful people. I will gladly go to next years reunion. And Fort Campbell couldn't have been more accommodating. We even met the current members of the Battalion. What a fine group of men. 

Sadly I knew so little about WW2 from school. I have learned much more from traveling, documentaries, books and talking to my Dad and his friends. In fact I corresponded quite a bit with a guy from Belgium, he is writing a book about one of the missions my Dad flew.

Please give us more to the story