Trusted Contributor

Re: Cataract Surgery Coming- Advice Welcome

I had both eyes done in September, 4 weeks apart. Wait until you can see the difference in how you saw the world with your bad eye vs how you will immediately see the world with your good eye. I walked around for a week first covering my good eye, then covering my bad eye! It's instant gratification.

The surgery is easy. They give you an iv in the prep room, you don't need to wear a johnny or take any of your clothing off. They will put numbing drops in your eyes several times.  Once you're in the OR, they give you a very mild sedative (i had propofol) thru the iv, which allows you to hear the doc, but kind of be detached from what is hapening. You are in the OR for 15-20 minutes. 

Be sure you use the drops they give you as prescribed afterwards. I noticed if I didn't use the drops several times a day, the eye would feel gritty- so do follow those directions.

Best of luck! You will be amazed at your new eyesight! And you'll also have a new glint in your eyes as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Question: if you're having cataract surgery, how do you keep your eyeball still?

@BoopOMatic  that's my question also. I would hope I would be sedated before that happens.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz    I had mine done in 2016 and it was dropless surgery.  I never had to put prescription drops in my eyes.  My guy had his done recently at Kaiser and was putting drops in before and after which seemed like forever.  I never had any issues

Esteemed Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

I had both eyes done in September, 4 weeks apart. Wait until you can see the difference in how you saw the world with your bad eye vs how you will immediately see the world with your good eye. I walked around for a week first covering my good eye, then covering my bad eye! It's instant gratification.

The surgery is easy. They give you an iv in the prep room, you don't need to wear a johnny or take any of your clothing off. They will put numbing drops in your eyes several times.  Once you're in the OR, they give you a very mild sedative (i had propofol) thru the iv, which allows you to hear the doc, but kind of be detached from what is hapening. You are in the OR for 15-20 minutes. 

Be sure you use the drops they give you as prescribed afterwards. I noticed if I didn't use the drops several times a day, the eye would feel gritty- so do follow those directions.

Best of luck! You will be amazed at your new eyesight! And you'll also have a new glint in your eyes as well.

@Lakelife62  now I really understand it.

Honored Contributor

Just concentrate on how awesome that legal high (the relaxing drug) will feel.  ;-)

Something to look forward to, besides the excellent vision.  8-)

Honored Contributor

F+unny, how there are so many differences, I had to wear a hospital gown, but didnt have any sedation at all, just eye numbing drops. 

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn , I had both eyes done this year.  No problem and great improve,ent in vision.  It is a gift.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Not "easy peasy" for me. I had the dropless cataract surgery. Just hope you don't need a stitch in your cataract lens to keep it in place. I did and that was a deal breaker! Excruciating! I cried all the way home (an hour drive). That stitch came out about 5 days later. My second eye was much easier. My vision was clearer afterwards but what I really noticed was my colors! I now see the world in full color which I'm still enjoying! I had my cataract surgeries last January. It really messed up my diabetic retinopathy. Still getting additional treatments for that in both of my eyes (injections). If I knew then what I know now I would have opted out of having cataract surgery. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I had my cataracts done a couple of years ago. It was the easiest thing I've done.

They give you a drug that makes you drowzy/sleep. I was awake for the first eye but not enough to let anything bother me. I don't even remember the dr doing the 2nd eye. 

It took about 10 minutes for the actual surgery.  They put drops in my eyes every 15 minutes for an hour before surgery to put in enough drops to completely dilate my eyes and numb them. Not a big deal.

You'll have eyedrops for some days prior and after surgery to prevent infection and help healing.

Respected Contributor

I had both done a few years back, was so scared that I could lose what little bit of vision I had. Afterwards, it felt like I'd experienced a miracle. I was legally blind and now still have 20/20 vision. It's so nice not to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to see. It wasn't bad in my own home but staying in unfamiliar surroundings was scary. Yes, there are things that can go wrong but I'd never let that stop me from getting this done. As others have said, just follow the doctor's instructions. Eye drops are very important to keep the eye lubricated. I'm not one to take meds but have to say I took the pain meds I was given for the first day. After that, they weren't needed. Good luck, am excited for you to experience the miracle!