Contributor

Cat Colony VS. Feeding Station?

Hi,

I feel badly for hijacking Daisy's thread about her feeding a mom cat and kittens. I am in the same situation with a twist. I have fed ferals and abandoned cats in my backyard for years. Trapping, spaying, neutering, feeding. Keeping some, finding homes for others, releasing some and feeding them.

My question is "What is the difference between a cat colony and a feeding station or is there a difference?" I always thought I had a feral cat colony, but now I am thinking I have a feeding station.

I have always had, as far as I know, unrelated cats. They ate in shifts and never fought, especially after they were altered. Some would stay in my shelters, some would go back to wherever they felt safe for the night. Now, a mom cat and her four kittens have shown up. I am feeding them and have plans with the local humane society to spay/neuter when appropriate. They have all "moved into" my backyard, behind my shed.

I have heard that they may form a "colony" and perhaps, not let my other feral cats eat now. She has been pretty diligent about running off cats now, and I have been feeding in my frontyard as well, but I thought it was because of the young kittens she is protecting. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I hate to see my other cats being run off, although I will continue to feed in the front. I have an unfenced front yard and sometimes loose dogs will eat the food, that is why I have always fed in my fenced backyard.

Do you think they will form a "colony" and not let other cats eat?

Thanks for any experience you have with this. I really appreciate it as I am concerned about my other spayed/neutered cats, some of which I have fed for years.