Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 VanSleepy said: I really don't think of wedding invitations as a gift grab. With the cost of weddings, I don't think couples are inviting people that they really don't want there. Or, in this case, the father of the bride wanted to include you.

As always, I can count on you posters for honest opinions, and I have really enjoyed reading them. You all are great!

I believe VanSleepy nailed the reason for the invite.

The FOTB goes to my DH for advice quite often on different matters. He is a much younger man than DH and I think he appreciates the wisdom and sound advice and wanted him/us to be there. However, we simply would not enjoy going to this event since we don't know them. I will most definitely send a card and possibly something additional.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Esteemed Contributor
Etiquette says no gift is required if you are not planning to,attend. If your DH wants to send something I still feel $50.00 is sufficient considering the relationship. I would not want to attend either. Taking 5 hours out of my life to attend a wedding of someone Imhad met once and being forced to watch the bridesmaids do the chicken dance is something I,would do for close friends only.
Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 occasional rain said: An invitation is not a bill, you don't owe them a gift unless you accept the invitation. Unless the father of the bride is your husband's boss or could be in the future, I would send regrets and nothing more.

ITA!

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Respected Contributor
On 3/6/2015 KathyPet said: Etiquette says no gift is required if you are not planning to,attend. If your DH wants to send something I still feel $50.00 is sufficient considering the relationship. I would not want to attend either. Taking 5 hours out of my life to attend a wedding of someone Imhad met once and being forced to watch the bridesmaids do the chicken dance is something I,would do for close friends only.

I've been to many, many weddings. I have no idea what the chicken dance is. I guess I've never been forced to watch the bridesmaids perform one.

Honored Contributor

Send a card with your good wishes. That's how I respond to gift grabs and this is sure one of those.

Super Contributor

I'd probably just send a card since I don't know her. Call me cheap... I don't care. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

If your husband works with her father and I was not attending the wedding, I would send a minimum of $100.00.

Whoa! What do you give when you are attending the wedding and know them well?

Super Contributor
On 3/5/2015 vermint said:

I'm gonna get slammed for this...but I'd send regrets and nothing more. The men are casual work friends only, there doesn't appear to be any outside socializing--and I'll bet that the father of the bride will have no idea who sends what!

I've started tossing "gift grab" invitations in the trash...cousin's kids who wouldn't know me if we were face to face (haven't seen the cousins in forever, either) are a good example. I get at least one or two of these a year. If there's an RSVP, I do attend to that.

OP, if you feel you must send something...I live in South Carolina, and feel $25-$50 would be more than enough, since you don't really know these people (and I would lean towards the $25!)

I agree--no gifts for strangers. Where would it end?

Valued Contributor

Actually I think it is kinda tacky to send money. I would buy a nice present. Maybe a vase or something and send it to the house. I believe that is proper etiquette. At the Wedding is where money is normally given.

Honored Contributor

If I didn't know the person well, and if I wasn't attending...I think $50 is sufficient.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"