Esteemed Contributor

Re: Casey Hickox sues Gov of NJ

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

....and where do you think the money to settle this kind of suit comes from??  It's out of the pockets of the rest of the taxpayers.  

Sorry.  I don't agree with this.  She goes to another country to help those folks, comes home and sues her fellow US citizens thereby trying to extort $ from innocent taxpayers.

I really have no respect for anyone who would do this.

We pay for a lot f things we don't agree with.  His trip to London - His Lawyers for the bridge scandal and Secret Service  protection.  

I am not agreeing with his politics or personality but just his handling of a potential health crisis in my state.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

You can not detain someone because of fear- that's discriminatory. The governor had no medical creds to do what he did and detained her despite the medical community stating you are not contagious unless showing symptoms, of which she had none.

You do realize that there are mere seconds between having no symptoms and having them?!

Quite true...as said, as a nurse, I would not have objected to being detained. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

....and where do you think the money to settle this kind of suit comes from??  It's out of the pockets of the rest of the taxpayers.  

Sorry.  I don't agree with this.  She goes to another country to help those folks, comes home and sues her fellow US citizens thereby trying to extort $ from innocent taxpayers.

We pay for a lot f things we don't agree with.  His trip to London - His Lawyers for the bridge scandal and Secret Service  protection.  

I am not agreeing with his politics or personality but just his handling of a potential health crisis in my state.

I used to live in NJ and Christie overreacted..

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

She's only seeking 250k in damages..

Only?  What damages did she suffer? 

Esteemed Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

I used to live in NJ and Christie overreacted..

I do live here and glad he did

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Only?  What damages did she suffer? 

I haven't read the suit.  If Christie was so right, he wouldn't have released her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm betting there's going to be something in the job description that gives the governor of a state some authority to do what he did. If not, there should be. I think her suit is frivolous and potentially penalizes all the tax payers of NJ. Whether her prior actions are assessed as noble or not really isn't relevant.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Chris Christie overreacted to a crisis which didn't exist.  He was trying to throw his weight around and was PROVEN wrong. 

Valued Contributor

The damages were that her freedom was denied and she was held against her will for no rational reason. Christie wasn't being advised by the CDC.  The CDC knew, as did the medical community that the only way to get the disease is to come in contact with the fluids from a symptomatic person.  Christie detained her out of fear and what he thought would earn him brownie points.  Hopefully he'll have to pay up.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

If she wants that kind of $, she should go to work and earn it,  not steal it from hard-working taxpayers because she was offended for being retained.  

I'm no fan of CC.  But in this case, I think he erred on the side of caution.