Honored Contributor

Re: Carrot cake

[ Edited ]

@Pook 

i totally agree about the carrot cake mixes.  They are awful. Is it just me, but do they leave an after taste for anyone else?  When I have the courage to. bake I use select organic ingredients.  I have spine issues and RA, and have developed an adversion to cleaning the messes baking makes. I also have a little trouble diserning when Carrot cake is done.  I make them 2 ways.  One in an angel food cake pan, the other I make 3 layers.  I make the dense, heavier type of carrot cake using oil and butter.  Gone are those days.  I buy them now.  I find a reliable, quality source .  

These are my go to pastry sources. 

I used to love the Celebration Cake from Balboa Cakes the Q offered, but they are gone!!

Traditional Coconut cake,  it has to be from Smith Island

Carrot Cake, Sweet Lady Jane,  Santa Monica.

raspberry cheesecake, Sweet Lady Jane Bakery

Apple pie, pecan pie, or chocolate peanut butter pie, Tooties Bakery in Texas

i get the best fruit cake without booze from Jam Pot, make by Monks in Michigan. But you can only order 3 months a year. They also make the best molasses cookies 

Chocolate caramel Explosion Cake, Davids Bakery. Costco

OMG the frosting on this cake is make with marshmallow creame and malted milk, it has carmel between layers with frosting and the most moist chococake!!!  Huge comes sliced with wax paper dividers.  Keeps frozen for a few months.

Glutan free Key lime cake and or Limoncello I get from Alaskan Silk Pie co.

Honored Contributor

Re: Carrot cake

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

If you like to bake and are good at you can whip up a carrot cake with butter cream/cream cheese frosting for about 8 bucks. Of course if you don't bake that's a different story, 58 bucks is too rich for my blood for a cake with preservatives in it.

Eigfht bucks???  That is fine if you want to go cheap but I don't think so - not for  a real decadent carrot cake with creasm cheese cake!  To get a really good one you HAVE to use the best ingredients otherwise why waste your time making a carrot cake!?  I know I sure wouldn't!

Respected Contributor
I would have nearly $8 wrapped up in butter and cream cheese.
Honored Contributor

I'm not making a cake for the holiday from a cake mix.  So, will you pick one up at Wegman's and bring it to my house?  You can't spend other people's money and what is expensive or YOU is not for other people.  $58 for party cake that comes right to my front door is not expensive to me even if I can get one from the bakery for half the price.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree : DH has wanted a cream cheese pound cake for a long time but the weather had not cooperated because it needs to be sunny. The ingredients are expensive. Yesterday was sunny plus it was our 18th Anniversary. I am very slow plus use a walking cane. It took me for ever to get the ingredients out, sift the flour etc. I decided to bake 2 cakes but use loaf pans so some could be put in the freezer. The weather outside was hot 80 degrees. Took me over 4 hours and still needed to clean the kitchen. In a heart beat if I could have purchased this cake at a local bakery or on line- would be my choice. I was so tired and hurting but worth it to see DH face looking at the cake on the counter. Southern Bee 

Trusted Contributor

they charge so much is because they can and they know that people will pay the price. then some folks just don't want to cook or bake