Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet at Lowes....OMG....

Actually Home Depot came to our rescume, we have bought carpet from a local store and the day it was supposed to be delviered we got a call that the mill dod not deliver the carpet.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Always go with a reputable LOCAL dealer if you possibly can.  One that has been in the business a long time and has good references.  

NONE of the big box stores know what they are selling or care.  The people on the floor don't know their product. EDIT:  I'll amend this to add thos chain carpet places as well as the big box ones.   And they just pickup whoever they can for the install.  

GO local!  It makes a difference.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've had many jobs done by Lowes over the years -  fencing, lighting to name a few.

Lowes here also contracts with local flooring installers.  We recently had vinyl plank flooring installed in our kitchen and dining area - the product is fantastic (Shaw's) and the installers did a wonderful job.  Lowes was great.  And the salesmen were not "kids."  They were very helpful and professional.

In the last ten years we've had new carpeting done by one local carpet installer and carpeting and flooring by another national "name" installer.  Issues with the carpet on both and the labor of the natiional installer.

You can't blame the carpeting you picked out on Lowes!  

You shouldn't have paid the labor charges if installation was free.  You should have questioned it and fought it.

Super Contributor

@chiclet this exact story played out with a friend of mine recently.  She said Lowe's ripped out the old carpet, laid the padding, then said the carpet would have to be reordered because it was defective.  I can't believe I'm hearing the same scenario now again.

Honored Contributor

@waterlily wrote:

@chiclet this exact story played out with a friend of mine recently.  She said Lowe's ripped out the old carpet, laid the padding, then said the carpet would have to be reordered because it was defective.  I can't believe I'm hearing the same scenario now again.

It sounds like the carpet manufacturer isn't checking it as it's being rolled on to the bolt and Lowes isn't checking it as they are cutting it from the bolt and re-rolling it for delivery and installation.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I don't want to write a book but if you can go anywhere else do it.  We moved all the stuff from closets and the other stuff like tv, lamps, night stands etc. from our two bedrooms.  They came, ripped out carpet and padding, replaced padding and then said the carpet was defective.   So I have been living on padding and tac strips until they could reorder.  Then we move all the stuff out of the room again and they come and roll out carpet and tell me it was defective again........I started scrutinizing the folder with the info they give you and even though they said it was free installation, I was charged for over 500.00 for labor charges.  I know I am stupid not to have noticed that. I just got a total bill and paid it.  There is only one other company that I have had this kind of trouble with in my 66 years.  I have written a letter and called the manager twice and he won't return my call. 

Write to the CEO.  A store manager isn't going to do much.  Go to the top!

Respected Contributor

Dispute the charge on your credit card. That will get their attention 

Honored Contributor

My daughter had a new kitchen floor installed by Lowe's, and my coworker had his new house carpeted by Home Depot, both very pleased.

Honored Contributor

@waterlily wrote:

I smell a scam

Honored Contributor

When we built this house 36 years ago, our carpet came from Lowe's---very nice plush carpet that still looked very good when we pulled it up over 20 years later.   We hired our own floor guy to do the installation; his son and grandson are our current floor guys and have replaced all flooring in this house.   

However, EVERYTHING about Lowe's is different now, and it is no longer our "go-to" place for things we need.