Respected Contributor

Re: Carpet at Lowes....OMG....

Sears laid our carpet in the basement ... apparently "gluing to the concrete base" .... once the humidity started, half the carpet "didn't stick" and Sear's repaired it, but slicing around the "bubbles" and regluing.   My eyes always go to those slice marks ... another lesson learned.  (The installer was very young and part-time).

Respected Contributor

You are dealing with a contractor that Lowe's negotiates with.  I'm sure they explained that to you when they wrote up the order.

I would be happy that they are NOT installing defective carpeting, you are not stating what is defective???

Also, I'm assuming you paid for free installation on the carpeting or the padding but I don't believe you got free installation on both???

There is no reason the manager of the Lowe's wouldn't call you back, I would call again.   Lowe's is a very reputable company and I'm sure will make every effort to satisfy their customers.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet  Thanks for sharing... I will be sure NOT to use a big box store for carpeting and  do my research on regular carpet stores. 

Honored Contributor

I had trouble with the delivery of patio paver bricks from the Home Depot.  What I did was leave a comment on their website about the delivery service they used on their " ask a question" feature.

well, they were right on it.  I got my tile in a hurry and when we were 8 pieces short of completing our project ( not their fault) and the only option that we had was to buy another pallet of 80 pieces, their district manager personally dropped off 8 pieces right to our driveway.  He drove from Virginia to Pennsylvania.  I asked him to let me know the cost, but  he provided the pavers and his personal delivery at no cost.  I couldn't' believe it.

In your case, Lowes provided the carpet and contracted the installation out to someone else.  If they were running a special of free installation, they should honor it. They should be responsible for paying the installers fee for the many times they had to come out to your home.

Try posting a question and comment on their website where they have carpet listed for sale.  They probably will jump right on it and refund your money.  If not, take them to small claims court.  You do not need a attorney for that.

Esteemed Contributor

Never buy carpet from these Big Box Stores --- they contract it out - and then act like they're not responsible. Go to a local carpet store - check them out on Yelp - and also google several carpet stores in ur area to see if there are complaints. Whenever I need a service or I need to purchase something, this is how I protect myself.

Yes - contact Home Depot's corporate office -- email or call --- they'll respond - and get ur $500 back - since you'll need to find a reliable store to deal with..

Esteemed Contributor

I do know that "free installation" means installing the carpet, padding, new tack strips etc.  It does include moving furniture or removing the old carpet and pad.  that is a extra charge.  HOwever you indicate you moved the furniture and the old carpet and pad yourself.  if that is the case I fail,to see what this $500.00 is for,  You should have received  a full written estimate from Lowe's with all charges itemized when the carpet was ordered.  I have always received that estimate when the final order was placed.  WHat does it say???

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would go to the store and talk with the flooring manager.  Be pleasant, but firm.  I'd ask for an upgrade on the carpet at no charge.  How can you be assured that the third attempt won't be defective.  If they insist it's a different lot, etc., then you would like double the warranty.  If you get no satisfaction, talk to the store manager.  Your family life has been disrupted waiting for carpet, etc.  You are an unhappy customer.

Respected Contributor

I went to the store, Lowes, and was ready for a fight.  The store manager said he did not get my letter or my phone calls.  He listened to me and seemed to be willing to make this right. However he told me not to go with the same carpet because there could still be a problem and to pick out any carpet I wanted and he would pick up difference and they would try to get it installed asap. We will see what happens. 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I would never get carpeting from any of the big box stores. They don't have professionals just kids working their way through high school/college installing it. Good luck tho. Its gotta be quite frustrating. 

That's not true in my area. They contract out to contractors who are carpet layers. Where I live, the big box stores do not do any type of installations themselves.

Same here. Had to replace the carpeting on top level to sell my home.  Lowe's was having a sale with free padding and install and I contracted with them.  My only problem was I'd chosen a carpet in the store that did not have enough left on the bolt so they ordered the total needed for my job from the warehouse, adding another 2 days wait.  That's what you want to happen bc had they tried to use what's left in the store and supplement with some from the warehouse it could be different.  Paint, carpet, wallpaper, etc should always be from the same "lot or batch" so you are assured the colors, textures, etc are all the same.

It was explained that Lowe's hires it's contractors and I was given name of the local carpet store that would be calling to set up a date for the install.  What was funny is they showed up in a Lowe's truck but gave me a card for the actual carpet store they were associated and said if there were issues, work thru Lowes and 2 days after install Lowes called asking if there were any issues.  Other than the 2 day delay to get carpet from warehouse, I had  zero problems with Lowes or their hired contractor.  

Respected Contributor

I guess we just have a good Home Depot in our area.  We've had our carpet for 9 years, have had it steamed cleaned numerous times  over the years and the cleaners cannot believe how old it is.  It was beautifully installed with no problems, and we also bought the upgraded padding.  The carpeting itself was a polyester carpet that they were introducing to see if the public liked it and if it held up.  It is nearly indestructible and is a breeze to keep clean.  

Thankfully, we got lucky. We are just too old for too much aggravation.