Respected Contributor

Re: Carolyn Gracie's comments on COVID-19

Good grief, for all the complaining and whining over people going places & NOT adhering to social distancing rules, I'd think CG choosing to not go to the beach would be a good thing.  You can't win here!

Honored Contributor

I am one that wears a mask.  I am not flippant about Covid at all.

However, I have said more than once that there are places I won't go to if I had to wear a mask.

I won't go to a beach if I have to wear a mask.  I wouldn't go to an amusement park and have to wear a mask.  If cruise ships require masks when cruising begins again, I will not cruise.  

It's not because I'm anti-mask and it's not because I think Covid is a hoax.  It's because it would be hot and uncomfortable so I'd rather not go. Having to wear a mask on vacation (cruise) isn't my idea of a vacation.  That's my personal choice.   If that offends someone, oh well.    

Honored Contributor

This doesn't surprise me, I'm not a fan.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@MnPatti wrote:

I feel disappointed that Carolyn Gracie made such flippant comments about a virus that has affected so many people. My father is in a care facility that just recently had their first confirmed case and I worry about his safety. I have worked in healthcare for many years and know the stress and hardship COVID-19 has caused. 
For CG to comment that she doesn't want to go to the beach because she would have to  be inconvenienced by wearing a mask...and also she hopes it is gone by Christmas...well let's be real. How many people will never have another Christmas because they are no longer with us, because of COVID-19?

Did she say what her problem was with wearing a mask to protect others? I wonder if she refuses to wear one in general. If so, she should keep that to herself. She's in a few risk categories.

I didn't read it as Carolyn "refusing to wear a mask to protect others."  It just seems like she's choosing not to go somewhere that a mask is required or that a mask is warranted due to high numbers of strangers being out and about.  I think that's a good thing and that it may be possible some are overreacting and seeing things that aren't there.

@wildcat fan and @Mj12 Okay. I don't follow her a lot. I'll edit and take out what I said wondering about how she felt about masks. It's really easy to misunderstand people. And being on live TV is so dangerous for saying something ambiguous that can be taken in a negative direction that was not intended.

I don't think she needs to apologize. Considering how people can be, she might eventually need to explain just to calm anyone who misunderstood. That's how things are right now with mass communications. So many different perspectives.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I took it that she is being careful when going out and pointed out which I don't blame her that she would have to wear a mask at the beach.  I don't go to the beach because of all the crowds and if I did I would have to wear a mask which would be hot & uncomfortable so  I also chose not going to the beach.

Respected Contributor

@MnPatti wrote:

I feel disappointed that Carolyn Gracie made such flippant comments about a virus that has affected so many people. My father is in a care facility that just recently had their first confirmed case and I worry about his safety. I have worked in healthcare for many years and know the stress and hardship COVID-19 has caused. 
For CG to comment that she doesn't want to go to the beach because she would have to  be inconvenienced by wearing a mask...and also she hopes it is gone by Christmas...well let's be real. How many people will never have another Christmas because they are no longer with us, because of COVID-19?

I heard what she said and frankly, you're taking offense where none was meant.

Honored Contributor

https://www.qvc.com/Denim-%26-Co-Active-French-Terry-Zip-Front-Long-Sleeve-Fit-%26-Flare-Jacket.prod...

At 7:48 Gary brings up the holidays first as a selling point.

Carolyn has said several times they have cancelled plans.  She hopes COVID-19 is gone by Christmas. 

I hope so too.  Once again we are not seeing DS, DDIL, GS, and GD.

I've been thinking about one birthday we have now missed and 4 more coming up where most likely family will not gather.  Forget Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

If anything, I identify with what she said.  We may not be beach-goers but I cannot imagine having to sit with a mask on in the sun.

So what is the big deal about this-she didn't direct her comment to anybody in particular and I'm sure she is aware of the seriousness of COVID-19, taking precautions as she has.

Everyone has a story.  I no more expect somebody to "speak" as I see fit because Carolyn is not determining my life or how I handle this pandemic.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Carolyn and I do not for one minute think she was flippant about the Covid 19.

Let's not concentrate or worry about what a host on tv or most on tv (for that matter) says about Covid and wearing masks.....INSTEAD, let's,  for goodness sake, concentrate on ourselves and do what we can to protect us, our family and friends and all of mankind.

Honored Contributor

Well, I'm with Carolyn.  I LOVE the beach but I wouldn't want to wear a mask there either.  I also wouldn't want to be in a big crowd (or even a little crowd) at the beach as I like a fairly (or completely!) deserted beach.  Not easy to find anymore.

And I do so hope COVID is gone by Christmas, but there is certainly no indication that it will be.  I agree that Carolyn was maybe just trying to be "upbeat" since her job as a host probably requires her to be upbeat.

I don't think she would be flippant about something that has affected so many so adversely.

Trusted Contributor

I see nothing flippant or offensive about those comments.