Esteemed Contributor

Re: Caregiver and to much perfume

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Years ago when I worked in a cancer treatment facility (I'n not a medical person) all employees, male and female, were not allowed to wear any cologne, perfume, or aftershave due to the fact that cancer patients are often very senstive to such things.

@Love my grandkids This brings back memories for me ~ and not good ones. I went through chemo every Friday for eight months. A sweet man happened to come the same days ~ accompanied by his loving wife. Her perfume was so strong, I was getting sick. Every week. Not sure what to do, I finally asked the nurse if I could move to a chair on the other side of the room. I whispered to her as she got me settled in that the perfume of the patient's wife was so strong it was making me ill. Why she wasn't asked to not wear perfume from the first time she came in is beyond me.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Youth Dew....my ex MIL used to bathe in that stuff...but she smoked also so it was a nice mix....😬

Respected Contributor

Of course you should say something. Why so timid?

Respected Contributor

@sierracat  Sure, absolutely.  Just kindly mention to her that many scents stir up your allergies and ask that she not wear them when coming to bath your mom.  I am sure she will understand and not be offended.

Honored Contributor

OMGosh.........Just the other day, I was thinking about this.

"Years ago', I had  the same problem/situation.

Caregiver was warned ahead of time (agency): No perfume.

Well, one day, nice caregiver (who a very close relative and I liked) walked in with strong, strong perfume.  Close 95+ year old relative started coughing and coughing. And I had allergies and allergy related headaches.

I reminded caregiver in a very nice way, etc.  She didn't seem to care.

Another caregiver at another time period insisted on strong fragrance candles as soon as I left the house. Over and over again.  Agency couldn't seem to 'get through' to her. 

Another very nice caregiver in another time frame didn't wear fragrance.  Then, she began to wear strong perfume. She looked as though she was waiting for me to say something.  I didn't, just to see what would happen. So, she continued, waiting for me to comment.

Eventually found out that she wanted to be placed 30 miles away, closer to her relatives. I wish she would have been more honest and told us and/or her agency that she wanted to be transferred. Instead of wanting to be terminated by wearing strong perfume. We sure liked her.

Ended up with a fabulous no-fragrance caregiver who was fragrance free.

'All in all', looking back, I do think  that some caregivers working in agencies actually secretly want to be dismissed.  They want the client to terminate them for whatever reason, but don't  want to ask their agency to be transferred out. Maybe it's a negative mark by the agency against the caregiver when  they want to be transferred?

'I don't know'............All I know that we have always been very nice to caregivers, not an easy profession by any means.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@sierracat  In a health care setting fragrance is not allowed.Your house your rules. I would not hesitate to tell her no more fragrance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would certainly say something, kindly.  I am sure she will understand.  I also want to wish your mother well. 

When my husband was critically ill in the hospital, not only was no fragrance allowed by staff or visitors but no fresh flowers were allowed to be received either. 

Valued Contributor

An equal concern should be bathing once a week. It sounds like you really need this person to help your mother and she is familiar with her from prior to living with you. It must not bother your mother. I wouldn't get all in a twist about the perfume just steer clear of her during the visit if you can. If you continue with passive aggressive comments "boy you sure got a lot of perfume on" she may not want to continue with the care giving. That was rude to say it like that. You can be kind with regard to her feelings and just mention that most fragrance bothers your allergies and would she please not wear any during her visit. Thank her for the things you appreciate about her.

Honored Contributor

Do you know if she smokes?  I notice at work that our smokers spray perfume on themselves as soon as they finish a cigarette.  And it's usually something very strong.

My sister does the same thing and then gargles with listerine.

It makes  your eyes water.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

Don’t fret over this, just tell her it bothers you, she’ll understand.