Esteemed Contributor

Re: Caregiver and to much perfume

@pattypeep wrote:

@sierracat  I doubt I would "ask", I would "say", please do not wear fragrances in my home. Thank you.

Exactly.  I wouldn't turn this into anything bigger than it needs to be.

Certainly she knows that some people have a problem with fragrances.  So give her the opportunity to fix the problem.  Most likely she will.  Problem solved.

(And passive-aggressive comments, such as commenting on her perfume, are counter-productive.  There's no need to comment on the scent, say you like it, or anything else.  She's coming into your home and you don't want her to wear fragrances.  That's all that needs to be said.  She can't fix the problem if she doesn't know one exists.)

Frequent Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Years ago when I worked in a cancer treatment facility (I'n not a medical person) all employees, male and female, were not allowed to wear any cologne, perfume, or aftershave due to the fact that cancer patients are often very senstive to such things.

Yes, the oncology office where my husband goes asks that no one who comes there wear scent of any kind, including lotions, hairsprays, etc.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

Of course you should say something. Why so timid?

When you're dealing with a loved one's illness and incapacity, you're emotionally and physically exhausted and vulnerable and don't want to risk losing a good caregiver, etc. It's understandable that she might be hesitant, so we're giving her support and encouragement to do what she needs to do.

Honored Contributor

@sierracat So, did you tell her?

Respected Contributor

You are paying her, tell her.

No need to be rude, but get your point across.

-Texas Hill Country-