Respected Contributor

Career federal employees & scientists aren't politicians

[ Edited ]

I think there is widespread misunderstanding about the National Institutes of Health and its doctors and other scientists who are appearing on TV.

That's probably why recent posts have been censored here.

I would urge people to visit the NIH website and look at all its institutes and their wide-ranging medical missions.  Also become familiar with the National Library of Medicine, which is part of NIH.

My husband spent his entire career at NIH working (and still works on a voluntary, unpaid basis) with those scientists, and my hair has stood on end  many times when people say they don't trust anyone  or any statements or information from NIH because "that's government".

Most of what doctors everywhere know today comes from research conducted, sponsored or directed by NIH.  Our tax dollars pay for this research, and the doctors there are dedicated civil servants and medical experts.

There is no question that the very famous doctor heading up the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases deserves respect.  He was also the key player in finding solutions to the AIDS crisis when it first cropped up many decades ago.

His institute is currently working with our state university and others as they all are engaged in developing a universal flu vaccine that won't have to be given every year.  Worthwhile work!

Respected Contributor

Re: Career federal employees & scientists aren't politicians

I suspect you would not have to look hard to find out where these critics get their news.  

My only complaint with the NIH is when dedicated employees develope items that are then sold to manufacturers and the products are patented.  

Look this up, it has happened a number of times where the taxpayer funds a study and then the drug mfg. gets the patent and the drug is sold at high profits.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 Thank you for something that needs to be said.  Lots of federal workers keeping many important things going, and yes, their job titles don't always include speaking to the press.

And that is another science in and of itself. Not all are equipped. 

Respected Contributor

@novamc1   Well said!  They are doing cutting edge research and development there.  They are truly dedicated individuals.

Living very close to NIH, I am aware of a number of sick individuals who went there for help as a last resort.  My friend's daughter was so sick and not getting answers to a remedy or cure. Luckily, she was sent there and they saved her life.

It is truly a wonderful, outstanding organization!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum 

You should provide some documentation to support what you said.

It's quite likely that NIH sponsored or monitored that drug research done by the drug manufacturer,so the drug company deserved a patent on the finished product. 

NIH doesn't hold patents on anything, anyway,  or sell anything to the private sector,  that I know of or can possibly imagine.

It does do a lot of research and experimentation itself, but works with academic research institutions, biotech companies and pharmaceutical companies which develop, test and hopefully succeed in producing something useful.

Honored Contributor

I think it's obvious to see when a politician is saying something and you look at the faces of the scientists, they are trying hard not to cringe.

It's obvious they've become part of the political word and they aren't (nor should they be) comfortable.

But on the other hand the leaders don't want the news to b only doom and gloom.  They have to walk a fine line between giving us the information but trying not to make us want to go slit our throats because all hope is lost.

There are people who (their entire lives) only see the downside of everything.

Then there are people who never see the downside of reality.

The trick is to address all of it to everyone.

I wouldn't want to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1  Thank you for this insightful post!!! It has not only educated, me, but inspired me to do more research from this source. It is a tad cumbersome trying to discern facts, because there are sooooo many purported, "reputable" sources.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I think it's obvious to see when a politician is saying something and you look at the faces of the scientists, they are trying hard not to cringe.

It's obvious they've become part of the political word and they aren't (nor should they be) comfortable.

It's hard for them to listen to the misinformation and how many people it is hurting.