Honored Contributor

Re: Career and/or job changes

[ Edited ]

Jobs now a days don't offer career jobs until you  "retire". They don't have health benefits (or if they do, they are not good), offer work full time, pensions/etc, and good pay.

Many have to work 2 jobs, no longer one parent can work, college is high debt (don't guarantee you a good job after), buying a house young is almost unattainable, and childcare is through the roof. It's tough for the generation x and beyond. Many of  generation before keeps complaining about how lazy the groups after have become. They are comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I was content working for one company for decades, but I viewed it as a job. Wasn't looking for a full blown career in which you have to play corporate games to climb the ladder.

@AuntG

I totally agree. Some of us just aren't willing to play the games, or pay the high price some careers call for and are more than happy to just have a good job.

Society seems to dictate that we aren't being fulfilled or aren't doing ourselves justice if we don't love and live for our careers, and that everyone has to be working their passion. 

I see it quite differently. 

Many people don't need to live their passion through the way they earn their paycheck. Many have passions that will never pay them or render the benefits a job they need/want/have can and will do. 

I think it important that one not hate their job, and be able to find some pleasure or gratification from doing it, but it really is ok to just have a job and keep it for many years if it works for you, even if you need to find/live/experience your passion in some other way.

Honored Contributor

You are spot on @Mominohio. I view life much the same way you do.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I was content working for one company for decades, but I viewed it as a job. Wasn't looking for a full blown career in which you have to play corporate games to climb the ladder.

@AuntG

I totally agree. Some of us just aren't willing to play the games, or pay the high price some careers call for and are more than happy to just have a good job.

Society seems to dictate that we aren't being fulfilled or aren't doing ourselves justice if we don't love and live for our careers, and that everyone has to be working their passion. 

I see it quite differently. 

Many people don't need to live their passion through the way they earn their paycheck. Many have passions that will never pay them or render the benefits a job they need/want/have can and will do. 

I think it important that one not hate their job, and be able to find some pleasure or gratification from doing it, but it really is ok to just have a job and keep it for many years if it works for you, even if you need to find/live/experience your passion in some other way.

I agree too. I became a nurse to care for patients, not to be in admin. I never played the advancing in your job game.

Honored Contributor

I think so many know that social security won't be there when they are the age you need now to get it and they see how many pensions have been overpromised and under-delivered...so they see no benefit in staying at one company as an actual career
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As one who "played the corporate game" and advanced significantly in my career, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I loved every minute of the challenges and responsibility that came with it. As a finance professional in a very conservative industry, it wasn't easy, but I didn't go to college to spend my career as a entry level cubicle dweller. Given that I was subsequently able to retire in my 40's, I'd say it worked out well for me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I think I bucked the trend.  After graduating from University I ended up working at the university.  I stayed there for about 6 years and then took a job at yet another university.  So I've been in Academia for quite a while.  I like it fine.  I've been there now over 10 years.  Benefits are great and I have tuition remission for any member of my family.  My child can go free (so long as he meets the entrance requirements)  Great medical benefits.  I grew up at universities too.  My father was an associate professor of Mathematics.  This is how I came to the U.S. from Italy.  My father accepted a post to teach at UCLA.

Honored Contributor

If animals are your passion, demand for veterinary assistants and vet techs is set to climb by at least 20% throughout 2026.  Other animal care fields - including pet sitting and dog walking - are growing as well.