Respected Contributor

Care for your car if you’re not driving often

I am the first to admit I know nothing about mechanics, especially the car.  In that light, this article--likely basic for most--gave me useful information.  Maybe somebody else could benefit from reading this, which is why I am passing it along.

As QVC doesn't generally tolerate links, the PopularScience website is popsci.com and the URL for the article finishes with:

/story/technology/car-care-during-quarantine/  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Care for your car if you’re not driving often

@IamMrsG  

I am also not a car techie and really don't want to be!! I am not leaving the house at all...I fall in that group of elders with health issues.  Had been going out to to start car every so often, but then stopped for a while. 

Next time...of course...car would not start.  Now this is the one and only battery this car has had, so I knew that it had died a heroic death!   Trying to decide what to do about it...my wonderful neighbor came over and helped me out!!  He went and bought another battery, installed it and ran the car for a while!!  Bless him.....

Honored Contributor

I've never driven much and even less now.  Sometimes my car doesn't move for 2-3 weeks.  It's a 2003 and has barely 55,000 miles.  I don't do anything special but the lack of driving and my short trips are hard on the battery.  They only last me about 4 years then I get a new one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Yep.  My battery died.  I haven't driven much this winter, and only for short drives to the store.  My car has a lot of electronics in it that draw even more from the battery.  I had to call for roadside assistance yesterday and have the battery jumped.  Then I ran it for two hours to build it up.  It's not just the battery that goes bad.  Your tires will get flat spots if it sits in one place too long.  Sometimes they spin out, sometimes not.  The brakes also develop rust when the car doesn't move.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG  Thanks for the article.  Very interesting. 

My car is 3 1/2 yrs old w/low milage.  I pretty much do everything in the article that pertains to me once a week.

I drive around the block if I don't go to a store.  I live in the boonies so around the block is about 5 miles give or take a few miles or two. Smiley LOL  Radio is blasting. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We make sure both vehicles are driven. That's because my DH is an essential employee so he alternates them on a weekly basis.

Valued Contributor

I have constant problems with my battery dying, mostly in the winter. I don't drive far very often to keep it charged.  I try to start it at least every other day and that helps and often when I run an errand I will go way out of my on counry road to charge the battery a bit.  My car is 20 years old. I have a battery charger and when those dread times that I turn the ignition on I put the charger on (it's very simple) and let it charge. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  Your blocks are like mine.  My roads, depending on the direction, can be a lot of dirt roads.  More deer and woodchucks than other cars.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  With very little cars on the roads now, have you noticed more deer taking over the roads and highways? 

Now I have to contend w/the deer WALKING taking their good ole time on the roads & highways more so than the joggers.  In the 5 years I've lived here, I have NEVER seen deer on highways.  Now they have taken over. icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this reminder. I'm hoping going to the store or post office once every 7 to 10 days will cut it. If not, I have my Jump-N-Carry JNC660 charged up and that worked well one bad winter when I had an underpowered battery, until I got it replaced.

Wish there was something that could jump start my brain.