Respected Contributor

Re: Car rental prices are through the roof

@golding76 

I believe your reasoning for higher costs is correct.  Rather than have cars that were costing money along with parking fees at most locations, cars were sold and now there is a shortage.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  Initially, I was going to rent an SUV and drive up from Florida to MD. I asked around and contacted a few places regarding a rental as I had been hearing that companies had sold a huge portion of their fleets due to COVID shutdown. Had no problem finding what I wanted and the price was no different than when we rented a mini-van for our trip from MD to Florida. However, the cost to fly was SO MUCH CHEAPER that we decided to do that and borrow a car via a family member. When I cancelled the SUV, I mentioned to the CS person that now someone else can have it and she replied "Na. People don't want SUV's for some reason. It's always the cheapest car or mini-van".

There's been a joke saying it's cheaper to rent a Uhaul truck for $19 a day then a rental car. I've driven one of those many times. If it's just 2 people for running around, it works great (pick-up truck). 

Just my experience in the past 2 weeks.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Mindy D  Initially, I was going to rent an SUV and drive up from Florida to MD. I asked around and contacted a few places regarding a rental as I had been hearing that companies had sold a huge portion of their fleets due to COVID shutdown. Had no problem finding what I wanted and the price was no different than when we rented a mini-van for our trip from MD to Florida. However, the cost to fly was SO MUCH CHEAPER that we decided to do that and borrow a car via a family member. When I cancelled the SUV, I mentioned to the CS person that now someone else can have it and she replied "Na. People don't want SUV's for some reason. It's always the cheapest car or mini-van".

There's been a joke saying it's cheaper to rent a Uhaul truck for $19 a day then a rental car. I've driven one of those many times. If it's just 2 people for running around, it works great (pick-up truck). 

Just my experience in the past 2 weeks.

@FiddleDeeDee @Work vans were cheaper to rent. Passenger van rental prices and SUVs of all sizes were incredibly high. Some were in the $900s to $1000 per week!

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  What state/area are you renting out of? That might be part of it. I do know that renting for a long distance is cheaper than renting for a run-around (local). Though that may seem odd,  it's how each location is able to get a variety of vehicles to rent out so they encourage it via a better rate. 

At a certain cost, it would be better to use a taxi service/uber/hire a driver (I've done that to run around a place I just flew into and had NO idea where anything was). The thing is, people will pay those prices so.....they'll keep charging them. Stinks.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

Also, my car dealership will provide a free "loaner" while having the car serviced with them over a period of days. You just need to schedule it in advance. More dealerships keep adding services so it may be worth it to check.

I just had a '21 loaner from my dealership since my car was being serviced for 7 days.  They said it was due to my buying the extended warranty after the initial 3 year warranty expired.  I was so happy I did not have to pay for a rental.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Mindy D  What state/area are you renting out of? That might be part of it. I do know that renting for a long distance is cheaper than renting for a run-around (local). Though that may seem odd,  it's how each location is able to get a variety of vehicles to rent out so they encourage it via a better rate. 

At a certain cost, it would be better to use a taxi service/uber/hire a driver (I've done that to run around a place I just flew into and had NO idea where anything was). The thing is, people will pay those prices so.....they'll keep charging them. Stinks.

@FiddleDeeDee @I'm between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, right near the county line between Dade and Broward.  Even though this is a prime tourist location, we have always had great rates. I'm sure you are right though, about location, because demand is very high here and I think we don't have the supply we've always had. I also think that car rental places are probably paying employees more right now or the employees would not come in to work. There's also increased cleaning costs, because they take the time to wipe off more surfaces between renters. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rental cars are scarce and therefore prices are through the roof.  Many rental car companies sold off their inventory when Covid hit because no one was renting cars.  Now they don't have the inventory.

I just rented through Costco for an upcoming trip.  We will get the car from Enterprise.  One of the perks with Costco is you get 2 drivers for the quoted price, where most places give you one driver and each additional driver is $15.00 a day.  However, everyone who is an authorized driver has to be a Costco member.  Fingers crossed we get the vehicle I rented which is a full size mini van because there are 5 of us who will be in the vehicle plus we need room for our luggage.   I have a bad feeling they are going to try and give me the step down sized mini-van and then we're going to have a problem.   

@Mindy D , I have never found AAA to give any deals.  In fact, I have found them to be much higher than just going on my own.  The only company they use is Hertz and the price was nuts.  I have a friend who is an executive assistant and plans a lot of her boss' travel.  When I told her I was going to be looking for a rental car, she also told me not to go through AAA /Hertz because the price was nuts.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We recently rented a car for 8 days in Las Vegas.  Without my husband's corporate discount the rate including insurance, taxes and fees would have been close to $1,000.  But I cannot blame the car rental companies.  They have to make up for a year's lost income.  We were just happy a car was available!

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D It is said that a lot of the rental car companies sold off lots of their inventory of cars during the pandemic. as people were not traveling.  Now that things are starting to open up, they are replenishing the supply with "new cars" and are paying a hefty price tag.  Yes, we as consumers must pay a hefty rental  price tag as it is passed on to the consumer.........

Esteemed Contributor

I think about everything is thru the roof and we probably haven't seen anything yet.