Valued Contributor

Police are reminding people in my town to lock your car doors and double check to make sure the key fob is working.

That made me think of old cars. Do you remember when we had to actually push all the knobs on the doors to lock our cars up?  And we had a key for the doors and a different one for the trunk?

I had an older car up until about 10 years ago. It had auto locks, but still had the manual roll down windows. I had one of my neighbors little boys with me and he got so excited because he could roll his own window down. LOL

cookin

Respected Contributor

Re: Car door locks-remember?

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak  OMG......you are really dating yourself (and me)!  I hadn't thought about the key thing for awhile, but I do remember having to stick a key in the door, then another different key into the ignition!  I sure don't miss those roll up windows either!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Now mine has a remote starter where you push a button. No key just the remote fob or I don't know what they call that.

Mine has all kinds of electronics on it that I have no clue how to use or what all it does. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I factory ordered my car last summer.  I have both key fob & keys to open my car doors & trunk.  Keys & fob are standard w/some car manufacturers.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Mine has all kinds of electronics on it that I have no clue how to use or what all it does. LOL!!!

I've had my car for nearly a year & I am still staring at the airplane control panel like a deer caught in headlights.  After the heatwave, I am taking my car right back to the dealership to have someone show me what to do w/each & every instrument while I sit back & take notes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

How about using a coat hanger to get into your locked car. Or a key for the gas cap

and those cute little vent windows with ther own crank...

and the 60s Mercs with the slanted rear windows trhat opened:

Honored Contributor

I hope my old "relic" (2005) lasts forever!  I have a key, a key fob, and external key pad.  I can never lock my keys in my car (assuming I don't suddenly forget the combination on the key pad!!!!!).

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette

Take a look at the 5 number pads on your door:  you can tell by the worn ones what at least 3 of the #’s are.

If a thief has enough time or it is dark out, s/he can play around until pay dirt is hit.

Be careful....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  Maybe your car can fly??  Man Surprised

I'm a nut case about reading the owner's manual when I get a new car, but my current 2014 isn't that complicated, and I really don't need all that extra stuff they put on cars now.  I just get in, buckle up, start the thing, and drive!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Remote keyless entry fobs:  if you haven’t used it in quite a while, don’t be surprised if you need to get a battery for it.

Traded cars with DH while the van is being serviced.  Since I don’t like to drive his car, the remote’s battery was so weak that it didn’t work....$10 for a replacement !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill