Respected Contributor

So we recently got a new car and my husband insists it needs to parked in the garage. The problem is I'm terrified to pull it in and out. I've only driven the car 2 times and that was before my husband cleaned the garage out. I know it's silly but I stress over the thought of it so I drive me truck instead. Many years ago I actually did hit the mirror of a car on the middle section of the garage. My garage now doesn't have that but obviously I'm still stuck on this silliness. Anyone else dread this? Any tips? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Car, Garage Fear

[ Edited ]

@Lali1- it's just something you're going to have to get through if you ever intend to drive the car. 

I bought a new car last fall and it's 4 inches wider than my old car and I swear it took me forever to get used to pulling it in the garage.  It was ridiculous. We have to turn sharply to get into our garage and it's a tight turn.  Precision thread the needle kind of thing to get it in there. 

Anyway, now I can do it with my eyes closed. Ok, I'm joking about that, but I'm used to it now. Took me about three weeks. 

Practice, practice, practice. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

There generally is plenty of room.  Maybe if you measured the width of you car and compared it to the width of the opening, you'd see it is unlikely you will scrape the side.

Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

So we recently got a new car and my husband insists it needs to parked in the garage. The problem is I'm terrified to pull it in and out. I've only driven the car 2 times and that was before my husband cleaned the garage out. I know it's silly but I stress over the thought of it so I drive me truck instead. Many years ago I actually did hit the mirror of a car on the middle section of the garage. My garage now doesn't have that but obviously I'm still stuck on this silliness. Anyone else dread this? Any tips? 

@Lali1

You could just park it in the driveway and let him put it in the garage!  eyes popping.gif

Valued Contributor

@Lali1  I sure do feel for you!  I recently moved from a CRV to a Minivan, which is much wider/longer. 

The good Lord did not see fit to give me backing up capability!   It is something I have fought with all my driving life. 

My carport was built for the CRV and every time I drive the van I have to be so careful not to hit the posts.

I am sure you will get much better than me real soon.Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I had the exact issue when bought a new car that was wider than my previous car.  I have an older home with a narrow single car garage.  To make matters worse, the garage is at basement level with a retaining wall on each side of the driveway.  Think Batcave.  The night I brought my car home from the dealership, I headed down the driveway into the garage, started in, and got as far as the mirrors, when I became convinced that my car was too big for my garage!  So I backed out of the driveway and parked the brand new car on the street.

How did I resolve my problem?  My sister convinced me the car would indeed fit.  She told me to check the car manual for the width of the car mirror to mirror.  Then she had me measure the width of my garage opening.  Sure enough, I had about a six inch clearance.  The next morning, in daylight, armed with this data and new confidence, I successfully negotiated the garage opening.  Today I pull in and back out of the garage on auto-pilot.  

So, I recommend using this measurement technique and calmly give it another try.  Practice makes perfect.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Hang something like a tennis ball from the garage ceiling at exactly the point where the front center of the car's hood should be when properly parked.  That will at least give you something to aim for.  When backing out, go straight - don't move the steering wheel and you won't hit the sides of the garage.

Honored Contributor

Can you rig up a side attachment which would be a buffer

before the actual wall?  I've seen a pool noodle attached

to the garage wall...which was 3-4 inches away from the actual wall.  

You might hit the noodle as a warning, but at least you

wouldn't hit the wall.   HTH. |>🚘<|

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the tips. It's so much nicer than my big truck but it's jut easier to drive the truck dirt and all. I think my husband is leaving the truck dirty to encourage me to drive the car. 

Respected Contributor

This is a brilliant idea ❤️