Honored Contributor

Re: Car Buying Stories Anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

I

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

new one on Truecar is $24,000

typical listing price for a 2016 EX model is $19,900.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat

You are finding some of the same info at TrueCar that you can find on Edmunds.

If that's the info it shows then yes you overpaid for the 2016.

For what you paid you could have almost paid for the new one.

You should have looked at vehicles first then entered your info on the vehicle you were interested in so when you went to buy it you know what you should be paying for it.

That's what I did when I bought my new car.

If you have the money I would go back to the dealer & talk to the General Manager. Tell him you are willing to buy a new one for $24,000 if the take back the other one at the price you paid.

If you don't want a new one I would talk to the General Manager about what went down & ask for some of your money back because you over paid for the vehicle.

That's all you can do is ask. Won't hurt. Most dealerships want to keep their customers so they should work with you.

If you felt intimidated by him you should have just left or at least said I want to talk to a different salesman.

I had to do that when I bought my car. I really did not like the guy that started helping us. 

I know a guy that bought a used van for his wife that turned out to be a lemon. He parked in front of the dealership with a huge sign on it IT"S A LEMON. LOL!!! The dealership told him to move his car & he told him he's not moving & will be there all day every day until they take it back. They took it back. He got another van that was not a lemon.

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

new one on Truecar is $24,000

typical listing price for a 2016 EX model is $19,900.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat

You are finding some of the same info at TrueCar that you can find on Edmunds.

If that's the info it shows then yes you overpaid for the 2016.

For what you paid you could have almost paid for the new one.

You should have looked at vehicles first then entered your info on the vehicle you were interested in so when you went to buy it you know what you should be paying for it.

That's what I did when I bought my new car.

If you have the money I would go back to the dealer & talk to the General Manager. Tell him you are willing to buy a new one for $24,000 if the take back the other one at the price you paid.

If you don't want a new one I would talk to the General Manager about what went down & ask for some of your money back because you over paid for the vehicle.

That's all you can do is ask. Won't hurt. Most dealerships want to keep their customers so they should work with you.

If you felt intimidated by him you should have just left or at least said I want to talk to a different salesman.

I had to do that when I bought my car. I really did not like the guy that started helping us. 

I know a guy that bought a used van for his wife that turned out to be a lemon. He parked in front of the dealership with a huge sign on it IT"S A LEMON. LOL!!! The dealership told him to move his car & he told him he's not moving & will be there all day every day until they take it back. They took it back. He got another van that was not a lemon.

@Nightowlz  I completely agree with you and th OP needs to decide now which way she wants to proceed.  No letters!  She needs to go the GM of the dealership now,  today,  NOT tomorrow. She has nothing at all to lose.

@nougat @Harvard99

That's what I would do. Do it today. Like I said it can't hurt to ask. 

At least if you go ask you won't be asking yourself later why didn't I go back & ask?

$1000 to $2000 refund would be great. That's a lot of money.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

When we were looking to get something newer for our daughter when she was in college, we stopped at the local Ford dealer and found a 6 month old loaner Focus with 6,000 miles on it, loaded to the gills with every extra you could think of.  

They would not budge on the price, not one penny even though we were paying cash for it.

@CelticCrafter It's time to walk then!! Woman LOL I'm a Subaru person and have walked out of dealerships more than once. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

No one on these forums can tell you exactly what to say.  I say...don't look back.  Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your new car.  We cannot go with you to bolster up your support, and it appears your husband wouldn't go either.  Relax and enjoy the car.  Lesson learned.  Stuff happens.

@Krimpette

ITA (rant alert):

Whenever I buy a vehicle, there’s always that one friend or family member

(lotta love’em tho!) who tries to flex their car-wheelin’-dealin’-muscle

and proclaim ‘You paid too much!!’ or ‘You got ripped off!!’ leaving you

feeling sub-human that you allowed someone to walk all over you.

And, jokingly, it doesn’t matter if the car dealership gave you the

car free of charge, the friend/family member will always know someone

who knows someone who’s best friend’s cousin got the exact same car

not only free, but with a ton of extras & a gift card to Walmart...

and a full tank of gas!!  Yes, I’m joking, but there’s a.l.w.a.y.s that one

that ‘got a better deal.’

AMIRITE?

It’s ridiculous how no other industry has this ‘hold’ over some people.

Car dealerships have to pay the rent like any other business. 

They will make a profit. Period.

Yes, much to the chagrin of a car-wheelin’-dealin’ cousin, they will make

a profit off of them, as well. 

My gut says someone chirping in her ear like I described, trying to

make her feel bad...and that’s why there’s buyer’s remorse.

Yes, there are provisions in place to return the purchase,

but if it’s something that is aforded, just look forward.  

I would tell anyone...just enjoy the process & enjoy your new purchase.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Car buying has changed so much over the past 20 years, I have some family who do extensive research, make the deal over the phone and on line and just go pick up the car.  We have several places around where everything is posted on their website, the price is not negotiable.  These cars are mostly formerly leased vehicles that the dealer buys and then resells.

My DH is a real stickler for doing his pre-buying research.  He knows their profit margins, etc before we go to the dealership. They are fully aware that the public has this information, so there is not much dickering around that can be done.  In these situations (with new vehicles), we negotiate for extras like floor/trunk mats, ie., things that are portable.

I had a situation when I purchased 9 month old used car. They were selling it for only a couple thousand shy of the new model but included an extra year of manufacturer's warranty.  I purchased it because the extra year of warranty was worth about 3-4 thousand dollars. For some reason after I got home, I got that same sick feeling you had.  I found out the car was formerly leased, had had body work done and then bought by the dealer at an auto auction.  While they may not have been required to tell me this, I felt the salesman misrepresented the car.  I went back and plead my case.  They were willing to take the car back in exchange for the latest model or provide services/add ons.  I elected to have extras installed on the car which without labor totalled up to $2500.  That was probably my worst experience.

That's exactly what I do.   When I bought a car about 18 months ago, I knew I wanted a Toyota Rav4 - used.    They are hard to find.  Most people keep their Toyota's until the wheels fall off.

So notified all local Toyota dealers.   I also looked online for cars at car lots & other dealers.    After a couple of months, a Toyota dealer called me with a trade-in.   It was actually better than I wanted.    They sent me pictures, I could look up the Carfax, all information was shared over the internet or over the phone.  Best of all, I buy the car myself, not by committee--no DH to fool with.

There was little negotiating when I went to buy the vehicle.   So easy.

Anytime you make a big purchase, you can have a spell of "buyers remorse"

It will pass.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@nougat. Sorry about your experience. Best to move on at this point.

A similar experience happened when I bough my previous car (used) from the dealership. Bottom line: it was a good car and I got $5000.00 back when I sold it on Craig's List seven years later. It was ten years old and had 153,000 miles on it and needed new tires.

Last time, in December, 2015 I was better prepared. Like you I researched the car on line. Same make and model as before, just over a year old. I had a price in mind, "out the door", which includes all taxes and fees. Sales manager was not having it. I walked out and told my (nice and respectful) salesman, "this is not good-bye, just so long". 

Kept an eye on the car on line. Called back maybe two weeks later. Made the same offer as the original. This time they accepted.

I wish you enjoyment and good luck with your new wheels. No sense dwelling on what is in the past. Some of the responsibility is surely yours and DH's.

$1000,00 is not pocket change, but not worth getting all bent out of shape and throwing DH under the bus. You had your chance and could have walked to the door, which you absolutely should have done, but did not. 

Sorry, but I think it's on you. PLease move on and enjoy your car.

@queendiva@nougat  This is the best advice on this entire thread!

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If I was to buy a used car....I would have to go Carvana.

Those Car Vending Machines, with those big cartoon coins, is epic!

How fun is that??!

7DFF3002-F364-4E7D-8B58-97C69545D6EB.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I still have not had questions really answered. It sounds like your husband is happy with the deal. I  would be happy with the new car and not create more stress in my life. You were not taken advantage of when nobody made you sign the papers. It sounds like you and your husband have a lot of health issues to deal with. That in itself would be worth extra money to be done with it and able to focus on healing. I would not make my husband feel bad by causing more stink. Is this a dealership you plan to use for service?

It sounds like it is wrong to fault the dealership. Do you like the car? Is it what you wanted? Be happy with it. Life is too short for you to be stressing like this. If you buy another car get someone to go with you that can be assertive.

doxie

Contributor

As others have stated, I would suggest going to Edmunds.com - Research - Car Valuation, and enter all of the information about the car.  They will show the car's value for a Trade-In, if sold to a Private Party, or purchased from a Dealer.

Since you purchased from a dealer, perhaps the car is Certified Pre-Owned.  If so, this brings the value higher (see below).

You may have gotten a pretty good deal after all.

Edmunds.JPG

Regular Contributor

We bought a Honda HRV last year. Great buy. We love it and once you put this experience behind you I'm sure your husband and you will also love it.

The head finance mgr did try to tell us that our payments would be close to 800. a month. I am the assertive one and told my husband that that was ridicoulous and we were leaving. He went back and came back with a much better payment.

My husband learned long ago never ever buy a car unless I am there. I am usually quiet and go with the flow but on cars that is another story.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm also a female and not educated in buying a car. I learned if I'm not happy with the salesperson, I walk out. I did that last year when I went to a mattress store in my area - I just didn't feel comfortable with the salesman - so I went back to the mattress store where I purchased mattresses in the past.

Car prices are always negotiable - and it sounds like u were alone with the salesman. Just a bad idea.

I purchased a pre-owned Honda Civic 2-1/2 yrs ago but I knew the salesman as I had rented him a room in my house several years prior. 

Like someone else on here said: the best place to go is Costco for a car purchase - new or used. Once u know exactly which car ur interested in, you meet with the manager (eliminates the salesmen's commission). I believe the price is still negotiable with the manager.