Esteemed Contributor

Re: Car Buying Stories Anyone?

@Harvard99  Do you own a dealership? We'll have to agree to disagree on that!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

new one on Truecar is $24,000

typical listing price for a 2016 EX model is $19,900.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat

You are finding some of the same info at TrueCar that you can find on Edmunds.

If that's the info it shows then yes you overpaid for the 2016.

For what you paid you could have almost paid for the new one.

You should have looked at vehicles first then entered your info on the vehicle you were interested in so when you went to buy it you know what you should be paying for it.

That's what I did when I bought my new car.

If you have the money I would go back to the dealer & talk to the General Manager. Tell him you are willing to buy a new one for $24,000 if the take back the other one at the price you paid.

If you don't want a new one I would talk to the General Manager about what went down & ask for some of your money back because you over paid for the vehicle.

That's all you can do is ask. Won't hurt. Most dealerships want to keep their customers so they should work with you.

If you felt intimidated by him you should have just left or at least said I want to talk to a different salesman.

I had to do that when I bought my car. I really did not like the guy that started helping us. 

I know a guy that bought a used van for his wife that turned out to be a lemon. He parked in front of the dealership with a huge sign on it IT"S A LEMON. LOL!!! The dealership told him to move his car & he told him he's not moving & will be there all day every day until they take it back. They took it back. He got another van that was not a lemon.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

Last car I bought I went through Costco car buying service.  Best thing ever - no negotiations at all.  

@DiAnne I've used Costco for my last 2 cars- different dealerships have different 'Costco' prices. Woman Frustrated Even with that- I still get a few extras thrown in !! 

When going into a delaership- even with Costco's buying service- go into the dealership at the end of the month. Or when the next years models are in the showroom. Also never let them know there'll be a car traded in until AFTER the agreed price. 

Honored Contributor

When we buy a car...new or used.  I always do the talking.  My DH is not good at negotiating.  

I am a hard sell. I never buy or write a contract at my first visit.  I always leave and check out prices for a similar car on line.  When I go back I have my ducks lined up.

If we can't come to an agreement, we just walk out.  Most of the time, the salesman calls us at home and says they will accept the offer.  Occasionally, they don't.  Oh well.

The most difficult part is after we come to a price and they send in the " negotionator". You know, the finance guy who also wants to sell you an over priced insurance policy for car repairs and such.  Those guys are brutal and they don't take no for an answer.

i get very frustrated with them and my DH can't stand the " fighting between us". He always just gives in to keep the peace.  Then I have to deal with the two of them.  I must say " no" at least a thousand times.  I have also walked out at this stage.

For the last couple of purchases, I just bought the car myself and my DH stays home.  He sometimes goes in to see the car before negations begin, but not always.

I like to pay a fair price and realize that the dealership needs to turn a profit, but I can't  stand the upcharges that they try to gouge you with.  They actually make more profit steering you towards a certain finance company, selling car repair insurance and the like than they do selling you a car.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Harvard99  Do you own a dealership? We'll have to agree to disagree on that!

@BirkiLady  For over 24 years I worked for an international company in a major metro area. I worked for the division that sells products to new car dealerships and new boat dealerships. You would recognize the brand name. I was in these businesses everyday and learned ALOT.  What's your opinion based on?

Honored Contributor

No one on these forums can tell you exactly what to say.  I say...don't look back.  Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your new car.  We cannot go with you to bolster up your support, and it appears your husband wouldn't go either.  Relax and enjoy the car.  Lesson learned.  Stuff happens.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nougat- don't let some of these posters comments make you feel bad.  You did just fine.  You don't have to justify yourself, only you were there to really know how it went and how you felt about it.  I don't always like being aggressive or pushy, but I will stand up for my rights and am able to still feel good about myself.  I don't want  to become the type of people some of them (car salesmen) are.

Your vehicle is worth a little more with the low mileage.  Could you have done a little better?  Maybe.  Could you have done worse, oh yes!

We all want to get a good deal on a vehicle.  But face it - we are dealing with used car dealers here.  Usually not the top of the crop in honesty in dealing with you and they all want to make as much money as they can if they can get away with it.

Try being a woman alone and buy a car.  A new one.  No financing needed.  This was me in 1995 after a divorce and then again in 2007 to trade in for a new one again.  You would not believe what I faced, even from women sales persons. 

I was totally ignored, asked if I was waiting for someone, not given the resemblance of a good deal.  I can't begin to tell you how I was treated.   I kept looking around until by chance I stopped at a Toyota dealership and got this wonderfully innocent young salesman who didn't know enough to try and scam me, gave  me such a good deal, no haggling , treated me as an equal(I had done lots of research and new what a good deal would be).  Other dealerships would keep me there for hours haggling until I brought my grown son back with me and Bam, there was a much better deal immediately!!!  I would not buy from them, they did not get my business.  

So quit feeling bad about this, you have a great vehicle and we can't sqeeze the very best deal we could possible get out of a car salesman everytime, it just won't happen.  You can be satisfied with what you got.

Enjoy your new vehicle!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99Family dealerships.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat

You should have looked at vehicles first then entered your info on the vehicle you were interested in so when you went to buy it you know what you should be paying for it.

If you have the money I would go back to the dealer & talk to the General Manager. Tell him you are willing to buy a new one for $24,000 if the take back the other one at the price you paid.

If you don't want a new one I would talk to the General Manager about what went down & ask for some of your money back because you over paid for the vehicle.

That's all you can do is ask. Won't hurt. Most dealerships want to keep their customers so they should work with you.

If you felt intimidated by him you should have just left or at least said I want to talk to a different salesman.

I had to do that when I bought my car. I really did not like the guy that started helping us. 

I know a guy that bought a used van for his wife that turned out to be a lemon. He parked in front of the dealership with a huge sign on it IT"S A LEMON. LOL!!! The dealership told him to move his car & he told him he's not moving & will be there all day every day until they take it back. They took it back. He got another van that was not a lemon.

@Nightowlz wrote:

@nougat wrote:

please advise!

@nougat

@Nightowlz  I completely agree with you and th OP needs to decide now which way she wants to proceed.  No letters!  She needs to go the GM of the dealership now,  today,  NOT tomorrow. She has nothing at all to lose.
Honored Contributor

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900. 

so isnt $22,000 over paying? 

No.