Super Contributor

Re: Car Buying Stories Anyone?

Q:

What Are Three-Day Car Return Laws?

A:
Quick Answer

There is a federal law called the three-day cooling-off rule that protects consumers who have purchased something that costs $25 or more outside of a regular place of business. However, this rule does not apply to automobiles purchased from dealerships. There is no federal law stipulating that a returned car must be accepted within a certain window of time, but individual states may offer further protection for consumers.

this is what came up when looked up PA 3-day return on car?

now really confused !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

new one on Truecar is $24,000

typical listing price for a 2016 EX model is $19,900.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat  What are you complaining about? You did speak up! And they provided you with everything you requested. Those extras DO cost money. Consider it an excellent buy. Smile. Enjoy the car you bought last night. <eyerolls>

BTW: Never make another big purchase without communication with your huband. And never go shopping when he doesn't feel well. What were you thinking? It still doesn't make sense. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

ok here is more info. hubby isnt aggresive type, its me that is the thrifty one. he would get taken every time. i watch out for scams. he told guy on phone its my decision. that I am the thrifty one. thats why salesman avoided me!  when I asked if thats all the better he can do he said lets get you your free acessories and do it that way.

so never given chance or didnt assert a chance to dicker price. except for the $100 i got him to take off in the end. im NOT ASSERTIVE. just a normal shy gal. hubby the same.

hes not shy but not assertive at all.

husband doesnt like to cause a scene and we havent talked since this was late last night.

no time to discuss yet, both at work. he would not go back im sure, but i still have sick feeling that could have gone lower if saleman listened to me twice when I said I never had chance to talk price. he didnt want to give me chance to talk!!!

it is a new looking very good 2016 car with only 17,000 miles on it. i do not want to lose it, just get a lower price. i feel had i pressed and the guy actually listened to me i could have got it down another $1,000.

am I crazy and should just be happy I got the car? I would have been happy with $21,000 instead of $22,000. a new one is only a couple thousand more.

i am terrible talking when upset, get panicked, thats why thought if explained in letter to manager all details, (much easier in letter) then would even be happy with $1000 in maintenance fees for future. can it hurt to ask?

just felt hurried and ignored by saleman when there! i know I know, i needed to be assertive, but in that situation you feel overwhelmed and imtimadated.

Honored Contributor

@nougat wrote:

Q:

What Are Three-Day Car Return Laws?

A:
Quick Answer

There is a federal law called the three-day cooling-off rule that protects consumers who have purchased something that costs $25 or more outside of a regular place of business. However, this rule does not apply to automobiles purchased from dealerships. There is no federal law stipulating that a returned car must be accepted within a certain window of time, but individual states may offer further protection for consumers.

this is what came up when looked up PA 3-day return on car?

now really confused !

@nougat

You purchased "used."

Research "Pennsylvania State Law Regarding Returning Used Cars"

FWIW....

Furthermore, if you are so concerned, you need to get off this message board, grow some balls & go to the dealership today.  Tomorrow will be to late.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nougat. Sorry about your experience. Best to move on at this point.

A similar experience happened when I bough my previous car (used) from the dealership. Bottom line: it was a good car and I got $5000.00 back when I sold it on Craig's List seven years later. It was ten years old and had 153,000 miles on it and needed new tires.

Last time, in December, 2015 I was better prepared. Like you I researched the car on line. Same make and model as before, just over a year old. I had a price in mind, "out the door", which includes all taxes and fees. Sales manager was not having it. I walked out and told my (nice and respectful) salesman, "this is not good-bye, just so long". 

Kept an eye on the car on line. Called back maybe two weeks later. Made the same offer as the original. This time they accepted.

I wish you enjoyment and good luck with your new wheels. No sense dwelling on what is in the past. Some of the responsibility is surely yours and DH's.

$1000,00 is not pocket change, but not worth getting all bent out of shape and throwing DH under the bus. You had your chance and could have walked to the door, which you absolutely should have done, but did not. 

Sorry, but I think it's on you. PLease move on and enjoy your car.

Super Contributor

@BirkiLady

He has 62 years of TYPE 1 DIABETES (WHOLE LIFE) !  He NEVER  feels well, its a day by day to get through! blood sugar highs & lows every minute! give us a break.

I had stomach flu just days prior also, we werent at our best, but needed a car. and put off 1 week after talking to him already.

yes I got what asked for BUT the guy knew I was wanting to talk price and deflected me everytime i tried. Im not a mean aggressive person so have NO EXPERIENCE in being ASSERTIVE! 

now feel way worse!

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLadyNew car dealerships almost always make more money on used cars than on new cars.

Honored Contributor

@nougat wrote:

@BirkiLady

He has 62 years of TYPE 1 DIABETES (WHOLE LIFE) !  He NEVER  feels well, its a day by day to get through! blood sugar highs & lows every minute! give us a break.

I had stomach flu just days prior also, we werent at our best, but needed a car. and put off 1 week after talking to him already.

yes I got what asked for BUT the guy knew I was wanting to talk price and deflected me everytime i tried. Im not a mean aggressive person so have NO EXPERIENCE in being ASSERTIVE! 

now feel way worse!

@nougat

???      It doesn't require you being mean and aggressive to negotiate a good deal.   Just refuse to sign any paperwork until you're satisfied with what you'll be getting.  Not a big deal.

So WHAT are you planning to do?   Is your husband satisfied with the price and not wanting to do anything further?    

Right now, you have two choices ..... protest the transaction with the dealership manager ......  or just move on and enjoy your car.

Let us know what you'e doing .....    

Honored Contributor

I think if someone is bad at negotiating (like me) going through a place li,e Costco, USAA etc is the way to go or bring someone who isn’t timid about speaking up. I know that’s neither here nor there now. But I know where you’re coming from. It’s the auto dealer’s job to get the most to increase their commission. 

If the three day cooling off period is in effect, then maybe just return it.  Or you could tell them you’re  returning it because you found a better deal and they might give you the $1000 back. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate dealerships.  The whole car buying process is horrible, long and frustrating.  My DH is never one to question a price, however, I always do.  We also had an experience when the saleman barely gave us the time of day.  Because DH really wanted a truck I agreed to purchase based on the price he was quoted over the phone.  When it came to signing the monthly payment was higher.  It was the last day of the month and they wanted sales so they actually agreed to let us sign without the down payment available.  The next day the salesman called to say we would need to pay another $1000 because running boards were on truck but were not on the sticker.  At that time I threw a fit and said I didn't want the vehicle.  They could rip up the paperwork.  I gave the dealership a horrible review  through survey's they sent me and on Yelp and told the manager what I thought of the experience.