Honored Contributor

Re: Car Buying Stories Anyone?

@nougat wrote:

the list price was $22,900.  he offered $400 off and $400 for trade in so thats $800 off and it came to $22,100. when I finally got him to sit down and talk to me (husband was in restroom) i said  can we make it an even $22,00. he sad yes.

so price was $22,00 but for a used 2016 Honda HRV EX Model with 30,000 miles range is $18,000 - $21,000.  this one has only 17,000 miles.

new one on Truecar is $24,000

typical listing price for a 2016 EX model is $19,900.

so isnt $22,000 over paying? I wanted to offer $21,00 just felt to intimidated and he didnt give me the time of day as I said. we asked about getting free stuff - back cargo tray and air deflector and he did give those.

then when I said I wasnt in the loop when price was discussed twice he just said lets do the free accessories instead. i just didnt know what to say. husband wasnt feeling well and prob not half there. i guess you had to be there to understand the timing and not feeling like I had a choice.

I did say twice that I wasnt in the loop as they just talked over the phone. and nothing was on paper to explain the offer or trade-in, just what my husband got told over the phone. so I just had to do the math in my head and talk from there. it felt like the guy just avoided me knowing I had say in the deal as husband told him that on phone.

please advise!

@nougat- you keep posting and saying please advise and several of us have given you our advice. If you’re not happy with the deal, check first to see if your state is a recision state. Then, drive up to the dealership and tell them you’d like to cancel the deal. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Go to Kelly Blue Book.com and put in all the auto info, they will come up with its blue book value. A lot of the worth is what all bells and whistles you have.

If it turns out you over paid you could try and talk to the manager but my guess its yours for what you paid for it.  Also see if your state has the cooling off period.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@nougat

When you buy a used car from a licensed motor dealer, you're entitled to a cooling-off period of 1 business day.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Something tells me that the husband is happy with the price.

Talking with the manager in person might be a good idea.  You and your husband, if he will go.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

@gidgetgh  yes I appreciate all the advice. I was just giving more detailed info needed to understand the whole story details, thats why I say please advise, after new details are given that i remember that could make a difference, like prices and research etc. etc.

i do appreciate all advice!

Honored Contributor

When we were looking to get something newer for our daughter when she was in college, we stopped at the local Ford dealer and found a 6 month old loaner Focus with 6,000 miles on it, loaded to the gills with every extra you could think of.  

They would not budge on the price, not one penny even though we were paying cash for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@nougatSounds like the lack of communication was between you and your husband. Didn't you two decide upon a price point before arriving at the dealership? Were you looking at something more than you could afford? Honesty with the salesman is the only way he/she knows what to show you! If you had done research, why didn't you share it with your husband before he agreed to anything with the saleman? Time to have the conversation with your husband NOW. If your state has the 3-day grace period (and you are BOTH unhappy), back out of the purchase. If not, you just bought a vehicle.

You really don't think a used car would ever be sold for $1,000 less? That kind of negiotating never happens. A dealer bought it in trade or at auction; they don't make money on used vehicles. The overhead of a dealership is huge! Sounds like the salesman and finance person provided you with appropriate time and paperwork. Why didn't you ask questions or nudge your husband if uncomfortable? Something isn't adding up. Doesn't sound like you were prepared with accurate communication and/or for the financial responsibility. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@nougat

When you buy a used car from a licensed motor dealer, you're entitled to a cooling-off period of 1 business day.

Depends on the state..This is from my wall at our dealership.....image.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nougat wrote:

@gidgetgh  yes I appreciate all the advice. I was just giving more detailed info needed to understand the whole story details, thats why I say please advise, after new details are given that i remember that could make a difference, like prices and research etc. etc.

i do appreciate all advice!

@nougat

So WHAT are you planning to do?  I can't figure out from your posts if you've very young and have never done this before .... or what your situation is.

First, you need to decide if you want to cancel the deal altogether or just want the price adjusted, and work to that end.

Personally, I would go THIS MORNING into the dealership and ask to speak to the general manager (there's always one on duty).      Tell him/her that you had a very bad experience, felt manipulated, and want to cancel the deal.   (do not call them; go there!)

Be firm.   At this point, it's about cancelling .... or getting a better price.    

Car buying is always a negotiation .....   and you can say yes or no at every turn.   No one puts a gun to your head to sign papers, evern if the sales person is pushy.  It's always YOUR decision.

Honored Contributor

Just secretly wondering.........How does hubby feel about the deal and price?

Could it be that he isn't interested in going back to the dealer?  I'd ask hubby to go to the dealer/manager.  Especially if both names are signed on the contract and loan.

Talking with hubby seems a good first step.  But don't wait too long. 

Lots of good suggestions here.   Find out what laws are in effect in your state. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).