Super Contributor

We bought a 2016 used car last night at a dealership. Today I feel sick that I didnt get a chance to negotiate price because saleman just assumed we were taking what he offered to husband on phone and acting like deal was done, he didnt give me the time of day even though my husband told him I would need to ok it when we came in.

would like other car buying stories please. how much did you get them down from dealership price, new or used?  how did you approach it?

I even had price research on my phone and completely forgot about it!!! UGH!

just felt so intimidated and like I couldnt even speak up and he stayed away from us more than with us. the whole thing has left a bad taste and memory and sick to stomach about it. we should have got down at least another thousand for this huge amount of money being spent there. It was just going on and I didnt know what I could say after the process was started, all new to me. saleaman didnt even take us to his desk to talk, put us in the comon table area. we had to ask can we go to your desk for privacy and a more secure feeling!  I had to motion him to sit down to talk to me.

would it help to write a letter to the boss there and explain how we were treated and not happy how it all went down? I feel we over payed and want something done about it. am I wrong?  once it is done is it done? please advise !!  Even the finance guy had no joy, no personality, no happiness towards us.

Regular Contributor

Re: Car Buying Stories Anyone?

Some states give you three days after purchasing a car to cancel the deal.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with the price? If you over paid for the car that's on you for not being assertiv. You should have walked away from the deal. 

Writing a letter to the boss? Just go to the dealership and talk to the boss face to face. He might work with you to make you happy.

At this point, you have nothing to lose.

Respected Contributor

In Ohio you do have 3 days "cooling off" period to cancel a contract.  You can do that, or you are stuck.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

with all these feeling that you are expressing, were you bullied into signing?  Or did just your hubby sign?  

How is he feeling about the purchase?  

It would give me knots in my stomach as well, if i thought that maybe i had been taken advantage of.  

Do you think that you overpaid just a little or a lot?  

Honored Contributor

Last car I bought I went through Costco car buying service.  Best thing ever - no negotiations at all.  

Respected Contributor

I don't know why you are feeling bad it's not like you just walked onto the used car area and picked one out, sounded like everything was done ahead of time.

He offered the price, your husband accepted and the car was purchased.

If the price wasn't what you wanted, I don't know why you didn't talk to your husband ahead of time before you went to get the car.

You can only squeeze these guys for so much, usually I get the extra's that don't cost the saleman but the dealership like free additional oil changes and tire rotations after they just won't move anymore on the price.

Enjoy your car!

Respected Contributor

I wonder if the salesman felt like your husband was making the decision based on previous conversations. I know you said that you were to have a say. Did you say something then or were you too overwelmed? When the salesman left you with your husband did the two of you discuss it? 

I purchased a car and it is not a fun experience because I was not in the mood to play games.. I told the dealerships that upfront and if the games started I left them and went elsewhere. I used the internet to determine the price I should pay. I determined that was more than I was going to pay. I found a dealership that was straight forward. My experience was successful.

You can used the internet to see if the price you paid was too much. Maybe it was not and that will make you feel better.

doxie

Super Contributor

@deeva   we were signing loan paperwork and like I said this is all new to me.

was the loan paperwork different than the car contract? i was confused.

I believe the salesman stayed away from me knowing I would negotiate so I never felt I had a chance, like the wheels were already in motion.

yes i needed to be assertive and am kicking myself for this now! its just the way it all went down, very hurried and I didnt know the steps ahead of time.

yes , I feel like a fool!

going there to talk to the boss would take alot of guts and then i would probably be told he isnt even there when he is! 

just tell me what you all would do? and words please! thank you!

Honored Contributor

I really don't understand why the OP is so upset and angry/ She had every opportunity to at least ask about a lower price. She didn't and is now mad. There's no need to complain to the dealer manager about something you didn't do. Next time perhaps taking part in the buying of a car isn't your cup of tea. 

"Pure Michigan"