Esteemed Contributor

Most hybrid batteries last 10-15 years. The minimum lifespan if a battery is usually 80 thousand miles. Hybrid costs of a battery depends on the vehicle. It can run between $1000 - $8000..

The costs of an EV is around $60,000. The battery to replace it runs around $20,000. The costs of having an electrical vehicle charger station depends on the level: Level 1 is $300 to $1500, Level two are faster costs $300 to $6500 and costs $3000 installation, Level three costs $10,000 to $40,000 with installation of $21,000. These are the fastest. Most people can't afford these vehicles due to the prohibitive costs. 

I don't think gas vehicle cars are going anywhere anytime soon. The rise in interest rates has not helped.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

The price for replacement batteries seems excessive (from what I have read).  

When we compare the traditional gas powered car to a hybrid and add in the cost of a new battery (and additonal price of the sticker price) ..hybrids just do not seem like a good value to us.

@Mom2Dogs 

They don't seem like a good value, because for many, they are not. I have seen prices as high as $15,000 for some model EV batteries.

Until a manufacturer can tell you, which means a 100% warranty, how long they will last? Ain't no way anyone can figure their value in comparison, to a naturally aspirated, internal combustion engine.

Lots from some about the good of an EV. Many however either leave out, or have no knowledge, of how and what minerals go into an EV battery. And how those ingredients come to the ones that make the batteries.

Will stick with my fuel injector aspirated internal combustion engines. I know most of them inside and out. While they have more "gadgets thus electronics", but! The basic functioning parts of internal combustion engines has not changed. And I am very familiar with all of them.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Battery life is determined by charge cycles. Each time a battery is fully discharged and fully recharged counts as one cycle. Most batteries are good for 500-3,000 cycles. (Three thousand is a bit optimistic, but you do see it mentioned.)

At the recent Construction equipment convention in Las Vegas, electric construction equipment was featured. A Volvo electric excavator was featured that could run for four hours on a full charge then recharge in as little as an hour (lunch break according to Volvo) and finish out the day. The battery on that was rated for 2,000 charging cycles.

Let's say you're a contractor using that excavator five days a week. It would consume ten charge cycles a week. That would give the batteries a lifespan of 200 weeks. If you don't mind replacing the batteries every four years, it could make sense for you, but to charge it at the job site requires purchasing a portable, diesel powered charge station. If you're using a diesel powered generator to charge your excavator, you might as well just use a diesel powered excavator.

The power required to charge an electric car is typically around 65 kwh. The average home uses 30 kwh per day. So, every electric car is essentially like adding two typical homes to the power grid. Unless we start building power plants in a hurry, the grid will not be able to sustain the transition to electric vehicles. The math just doesn't work. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Here, where I live in Arizona, a car battery needs to be replaced far more frequently than what'd be considered normal.  - about every two years.

I wonder if that'd include the battery for an EV?

If so, talk about expensive!

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

In cars with a battery - I am talking about hybrids.  

Does anyone know how long a battery lasts and the cost?  

Or is it the particular make/model that makes the difference on longivety and cost?

What happens to all those used batteries?

Esteemed Contributor

I've owned 2 Prius hybrids (400,00 MI and I still own one of them) plus a Buick hybrid 88,000 and no problems.  300,000 MI on the Toyotas was when I lived in high desert CA ( same temps as Phoenix). I'll never buy anything but a hybrid although I hope my next one is a plug in hybrid.

Honored Contributor

Re: Car Batteries

[ Edited ]

@arrabella wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Or is it the particular make/model that makes the difference on longivety and cost?

What happens to all those used batteries?

@arrabella 

They will create more pollution to the soil in the US? We don't need all those batteries leaking in the ground?

Honored Contributor

I saw a documentary where they used water instead of gas. Why are we not doing that? Shell made sure that was covered up long time ago.

I also saw a show where they were using fumes from gas so you used next to nothing?

They have other non-polluting alternatives but we are not using them?

It's all about the money.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

When I was looking for a new car, I thought a hybrid was the way to go.  I knew I wanted a Toyota Highlander.  When researching, a new battery was about $6000.  That did not include labor, which could easily be $200-$300 and also didn't include any additional parts if needed.  I bought a 2016 Highlander, but not a Hybrid.

Respected Contributor

DD was at my house today. Her Tesla has an app that serves as her car keys....the app was down....she couldn't leave. I loved having her here. She finally got the app to work so she could unlock her car and go home. Thankful she wasn't stranded and was here with me instead.